 Off-Topic / Debate / 15090
Re: gay by birth vs. gay by choice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 02:40:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher Tracey writes:
Jennifer Clark wrote:
I wonder - does "most frequently obsevered" (or perhaps most frequently
admitted to?) equate to "default" ?

It would have to be the default(1).  The only ones who matter(2) in
evolution are the ones who reproduce, so therefore how can it be that we
should incapable of reproduction?

But genes that inhibit reproduction _can_ be inherited, recessively. Cf
cystic fibrosis (without treatment sufferers die before puberty).

Besides, we should see this showing
up throughout  our phylogeny (at least recent)- I don't think it does.

Try a little google search for "homosexual bonobo".

My thoughts, such as they are:
I think the "why would I choose to be gay?" argument is very difficult to
refute, given the widespread social disapproval of homosexuality. That's not
to exclude the possibility of choice, or bisexuality though: humans are
pretty adaptable and inventive creatures. I suspect a lot of it has to do
with how keen or fussy an individual is, together with their position on the
straight/gay spectrum.

I think the evolutionary advantage of recreational sex is relevant too. Why
do people have sex year round for fun?  If God meant us to exclusively
reserve sex for procreation, why not save it for springtime?

// Dave