 Off-Topic / Debate / 15070
Re: gay by birth vs. gay by choice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 22:10:26 GMT

Why are you attempting to debate the very nature of Christianity.  It has a
written instruction perceived to be influenced by a devine entity and has
power via the individuals who believe it.  Christians are just as free as
anybody to believe what they want, but Christianity cannot be rewritten
without accepting the notion of a falable god.  Any belief that deviates
from the instruction of the Holy Bible is not Christian, no matter how
similiar the belief may be.

An interesting note to ponder:  The Bible is very explicit where sex is
concerned and states that many forms of sexual behavior are abominations.
However, nowhere does the Bible say that a certain race of people should be
ostrasized, only certain behaviors.  The Bible refers to homosexuality as a
sexual behaviour.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
If science can prove that a gay gene exists, then the Bible has also been
proven falacious.

I'm really curious, because I just don't see how. Does the Bible say
"Gayness is by choice"? Does it say "Gayness is not genetic"? Just because
someone is genetically predisposed to sinning, does that absolve them from
the guilt of the sin? Aren't we genetically engineered as men to be
attracted to women, even if we're married? So what? Why can't Christianity
just say "the URGE isn't a sin, but the ACTING on the urge is the sin".
Which isn't quite to say that the act is the subject of judgement, but that
if the person WOULD act on their "sinful urge" that they'd be judged as a
sinner. I just don't understand how being gay by genetics affects
Christianity in the least...

DaveE