 Off-Topic / Debate / 15019
Re: gay by birth vs. gay by choice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 15:07:36 GMT

**snip of lots of sensible things**

I hate to post a "me too," but Chris and I are so seldom in 100% agreement
that I thought it was worth mentioning.  Bravo to you, Chris, for a
well-articulated post.

The only thing I would add is concerning the "gay gene."  Certain homophobes
arbitrarily assert that heterosexuality is the "default" setting for humans,
so "gay-ness" must necessarily be the result of an additional gene.  Since
the heterosexual default is not proven, it seems that such homophobes must
necessarily reject it as a theory, since they hate unproven theories.
Alternatively, homosexuality may be the human default, and a "heterosexual
gene" is responsible for making some of us "non-gay."
  Of course, even that theory isn't particularly compelling, since people
are gay and people are straight--what difference does it make "why" they're
one way or the other.  Is there a Christian gene?(1)

     Dave!

(1) Actually, there is some evidence that we are genetically predisposed to
search for something "higher," even if that higher something is just the
alpha male that leads our local troupe.