 Off-Topic / Debate / 15100
Re: gay by birth vs. gay by choice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 04:37:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
From the Holy Bible:
    Leviticus 20:13
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have
committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death. Their blood
shall be upon them."

Leviticus 18:22
"Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind: it is abomination"

    1Corinthians 6:9
"Or know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God?
Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor
effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with men, nor thieves, nor covetous,
nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of
God. And such were some of you: but ye were washed, but ye were sanctified,
but ye were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the
Spirit of our God."

    Romans 1:26-27
"Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women
exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also
abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one
another, Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in
themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

I see where the above teaches not to *PRACTICE* homosexual acts, but nothing
about actually WANTING to practice them. IE according to these passages,
gays are fine as long as they don't actually commit homosexual acts. Note
even the reference to "effeminate" as bad. Well-- ok, it just says they
won't inhereit the kingdom of God, but I assume that's bad. I guess women
are out of luck...

Matthew 5:21-  here Jesus speaks about "thought sins", whereby a person
dwells upon a sin, knowing it's nature, with the intent of "pretending" to
to act it out.  Specifically the example of adultery, whereby even looking
upon a woman lustfully is a sin.  It is taught in the Christian church that
*wanting* to sin is no different than actually sinning, thereby requiring
repentence.

Anyway, if there IS a gay gene, wouldn't a literal Christian just say
"that's ok, just don't *do* any of that stuff you want to do". IE resist
sin. Heck, (as I mentioned elsewhere) we've all got urges to sin
occasionally. Christianity just says we should overcome them. Right?

That wouldn't be a problem accept that repentence is required by many
churches for official membership and many gay individuals refuse to
acknowledge that the Christian church believes that homosexuality is a sin.
So when a church restricts a request for official membership lawsuits are
increasingly filed.

It is interesting to note that some gay individuals I debated with have
stated that they consider themselves Christian.  It that is so, then it is
safe to assume that they understand the concept of Heaven and Hell described
in the Bible and that one cannot entere Heaven without first acknowledging
sins and repenting of them.

Well, as overly evidenced on Lugnet, there are so many flavors of
Christianity, it's tough to say. In fact, I know several Christians who
aren't homosexual who are fine with homosexual acts, believe it or not...

Yes, indeed many self-proclaimed Christians are not really Christian, merely
picking and choosing "the good stuff".

It is very important to understand that the Bible does indeed support the
notion that God hates sin, not sinners.  The whole idea of Christ dying for
mankinds sins and offering the means of forgiveness would otherwise be
somewhat ludicrous.

Exactly. It's the sin, not the urge to commit sin. IE if people have the gay
gene, they should just learn to not act on it, might say a Christian.

Again, it is taught that the mere "want" of sin is just as bad as the act,
based on Matthew 5:21-

DaveE