 Off-Topic / Debate / 15120
Re: gay by birth vs. gay by choice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 15:47:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:

Doesn't it depend on what the demands are?  What if all they want is a fair
shot?

That'd be great, except that the demands are not that simple.

Even if it's just hearsay, can you tell me what you fear they might be?  I hear
things like the right to marry which is a pursuit of equality, not a special
benefit.

It is no longer that simple.  Merely stating within public earshot that you
don't like a minority group can illicit a lawsuit these days.

I wouldn't fear such a lawsuit.  I think it would be hard to penalize someone
for what we are describing in our current judicial system.

It wouldn't be bad at all if it were that simple.  Unfortunately, when a
homosexual demands official membership into a Christian church, but does not
wish to follow thier instructions as dictated by the Holy Bible, I have to
wonder what exactly is the motivation.  If I don't like the rules of a club,
I won't join.

Well, I agree.  And I support the right of churches to deny membership to
anyone for any reason...so long as they are strictly non-public organizations.
If they take tax exemption as a religious organization then they OWE the
public equality.  Like the boyscouts, if they want to be exclusionary, they
need to do so on their own dime.

However, the gene is still only a theory, yet society is being forced
to accept it as fact.

I don't feel forced.  And I would point out, as has been suggested several
times already, the lack of such a gene is similarly "only a theory."  But you
seem to have decided that one theory is right and one is wrong.

And so, my stance on gay-by-choice stands firm...until gay-by-birth can
actually be proven.

It won't ever be proven.  Or did you know that?

Chris