 Off-Topic / Debate / 15075
Re: gay by birth vs. gay by choice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 22:57:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:

Stop making assumptions.

I never once stated that I am Christian.

And I never once said that you were.

But at the same time I note you don't deny it.  You have adopted a stance
similiar to that of many fundamentalist Christians, and have brought the
Bible into this discussion.  It seems to me that you don't want the label so
that you are freer to make your arguments (this is a deduction, not an
assumption).

I have some depth of knowledge
concerning the Holy Bible but that does not make me Christian.  I have
analyzed the theory of gay-at-birth and dispute it.  I have analyzed many of
the possible social repercussions to proving the gay-at-birth theory and
have come to the conclussion that it might be detrimental.

My previous attempt to discuss this with a gay individual led to negative
results which mostly ended with "...we're born this way, deal with it..."  I
brought the debate to Lugnet where I had hoped to get a more even-handed
debate from a more highly educated community.

And you have - but I suspect the results were still not to your liking (and
I'm not speaking of only my responses).  I've noted that I'm skeptical of
the gay gene claims, and that I think many gays cling to the theory out of
convenience.  But I suppose my view that the other side of the debate is
equally guilty doesn't sit well.  Are you falling into the trap that if I
don't agree with you entirely I must be entirely against you?  Are you upset
that while I don't wholly credit the gay gene theory I don't wholly
discredit it?

My only motive is to better understand something that I perceive is an
issue.  I have a lot of ideas concerning this issue and merely wish to
discuss them.

And so we are.

Bruce