 Off-Topic / Debate / 15017
Re: gay by birth vs. gay by choice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 15:05:46 GMT

As far as i am concerned, the whole deate is moot.  Not only that, but it is
dangerous because of its potential impact on society.  Also, the way the
various quotes describe homosexuality leave the issue somewhat clouded.

As i see it:

- Genetically-induced homosexuality- gay by nature- i find research into this
suspect, and further, of a questionable ethic.  What is the aim?  If 'gayness'
is found to be genetic, then what happens?  Do we start to genetically screen
our children in utero in case they have it?  Do we use genetic therapy to
'cure' them?  If such a gene is found, will that turn homosexuality into a
disease to be cured?  The idiots in the media will make sure the story sells,
so you can bet the public will be manipulated, mainly because they aren't very
informed to begin with.

- Socially-induced Homosexuality- gay by nurture- if the nature angle is
successfully disproven, that opens the can of worlms that people become gay as
a learned behavior from an authority figure or role model.  What happens then?
Nothing good I'll wager.  All the children's right wackos will come out of the
woodwork, as they always do, and preach about morality, and that 'someone is
teaching our kids to be gay'.  Its a short step from there to removing parental
rights from homosexuals.  I used top think it wouldn't be done openly under the
letter of the law, but rather through shifting social attitudes.  Now though
with Reichsmarshal Ridge and the Gestapo Homeland Defense bureau in charge, and
the religious right gaining more power under the Kingpriest of Washington, i
could see it happening.  After all, them damn queers, they just ain't right!
Says so, right here in the scriptures.

- Personally-induced Homosexuality- Gay by choice- this to me is not a viable
option- really, who would choose to ostracize themselves from their society at
large, or their family etc.  I watch will and grace, but i also know that a lot
of people in society don't like homosexuality, or at least openness about it.
I think some people choose it, but it is not the only origin of homosexuality.

The truth of the issue lies somewhere between all of these, and it likely
varies from case to case.  Its a case of proportionality- someones envirinment
might predispose them to choosing that lifestyle etc.  There is no single
cause- sexuality is far too complex.

Of course, no one has even addressed the presence of homosexuality:
- in prisons (as a power act and as a response to sexual drive compounded with
a lack of breeding opportunity)
- in zoos (in which homosexuiality is a lot like it is prisons)
- in other cultures

Nor has anyone talked about
- gender role- which is very different than sexual orientation, but is a part
of the same sexuality issue.  We have pretty much only 2 gender roles- male and
female.  To be 'gay' in our often incorrect perception, is to switch roles- a
man acting in the gender role of the female etc. in some cultures, however,
there is:
- the male gender
- the female gender
- a gender that is both male and female in role
- a gender that is neither male nor female
- oin some cases, 'other' genders, which we have no terms for, because they do
not exist openly in our culture, or they do, but people simply label them
homosexual, by default.

Any way you cut it, sexuality is a f---ed up issue.  I hope we never know
the true cause, because it will cause more problems than it will claim to
solve.  Things would be so much easier if we just reproduced through budding,
binary fission or spores.  Or even eggs, like a fish.  They lay em in a river,
we come along and fertilize em, and a little while later, a baby hatches.  Then
we don't have to deal with each other at all- no fuss, no muss.  Even a
yearly mating cycle, as opposed to a monthly one- then for 11 months out of
the year we can ignore each other.  No offense ladies- i am speaking as a guy
who was recently dumped, and even more recently found out he was being cheated
on by his ex.  Your gender isn't exactly in my good books at the moment. :-/

Just my random thoughts on the issue.

John