 Off-Topic / Debate / 15107
Re: gay by birth vs. gay by choice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 06:33:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
[snipped lots-- this is the important bit]
Exactly. It's the sin, not the urge to commit sin. IE if people have the gay
gene, they should just learn to not act on it, might say a Christian.

Again, it is taught that the mere "want" of sin is just as bad as the act,
based on Matthew 5:21-

Well two things-- 1st off, this gets into sketchy territory. What is want?
How do we define it? And, further, is it really *as* bad as the act? Hence,
if we want it, why not just go do it since it's just as bad? Is there any
positive side to not acting upon sinful urges? Or is it just a quest to
remove sinful desire? Is not there some inherent goodness to overcoming desire?

I mean, let's distinguish for a second... There's no way I'd cheat on my
girlfriend. I don't want to. Because she'd find out and break up with me?
No. Because I'd be labelled as a jerk by people who knew? No. Because it's
morally wrong of me. I'd feel horrible. Do I still feel instinctive sexual
desires towards other women? Sure. But I control them. Now imagine if I only
didn't do it because she might find out. Or imagine if I only didn't do it
because this other woman didn't want me in the first place? Is that any more
or less wrong? Is there any less desire? Isn't *why* we don't act important?
Isn't what we want important-- IE the want to be moral?

That aside, the 2nd thing. You can disagree with the 1st one all you want
(we'll just have to agree to disagree), but I dunno about this one. The jist
is this: if the ability to overcome (or at least repent) one's sinful
desires is possible for *heterosexual* urges, why not *homosexual* urges?

If you agree that it's in our genes to want to have sex with members of the
opposite, and yet at the SAME TIME we are capable of overcoming those
desires, can genetic homosexual desires not also be dealt with similarly?
You said elsewhere that it would be 'ok' of me to acknowledge a hot
waitress's beauty, but NOT ok for me to want sex with her. Isn't doing so
overcoming my genetically bred want for sex? Shouldn't that be possible for
homosexuals given the presence of a homosexual gene?

Granted, your point still stands that most homosexuals want "in" without
obeying the rules-- IE most homosexuals would disagree insofar as the
homosexual acts being sinful, but still, the presence of a homosexual gene
should still allow your faith (sorry to assume your Christianity) without
causing any paradox.

DaveE