 Off-Topic / Debate / 15122
Re: Another interesting essay & how I found it (was: gay by birth vs. gay by choice)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 17:23:56 GMT

Carl Watson wrote:
Sometime later I was quite destressed to find out that Homosexuality is
forbidden by the Baha'i faith & is considered 'against nature'. I found this
very disheartening & have lost interest since.
I felt that it was possibly in conflict with the principle of 'Religion must
be in accord with science & reason.'
Many people (including myself) believe that being gay is something you are
rather than something you choose.

For contrast, here are some principals for Unitarian Universalism set
with those of the Bahai faith:

Unitarian Universalists commonly hold:

- Humanity, in all its diversity, is one.

The inherent worth and dignity of all people. (UU pricipal #1)

- Human beings are fundamentally spiritual with great potential to be good.

Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our
congrgations. (UU pricipal #3)

- Everyone must search for truth independently & freely.

A free and responsible search for truth and meaning. (UU pricipal #4)

- Religion must be the cause of unity.

UUs don't specifically have a principal addressing this, but I think
most UUs would agree with this.

- Religion must be in accord with science & reason.

While not specifically a UU principal, this certainly is something
almost all UUs would agree with.

- Men and women are equal.

This directly derrives from UU pricipal #1

- Predjudice of all kinds must be removed.

Again, UU pricipal #1

- Education should be accessible to all.

Again, not specifically addressed by a UU principal, but suggested by:

Justice, equity and compassion in human relations (UU principal #2)
A free and responsible search for truth and meaning. (UU pricipal #4)
The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all (UU
principal #6)

- A world government must be established to deal with international issues.

I don't think UUs necessarily want a world government, but the 6th
principal listed above would certainly suggest an equivalent goal.

- A universal language must be chosen which will facilitate understanding
between people.

Again, UUs don't specifically address this, but obviously a common
language is necessary for UU principal #6.

A couple other UU principals which don't specifically match any of the
Bahai principals:

The right of conscience and use of the democratic process within our
congregations and in society at large. (UU principal #5)

Respect for the interdependant web of all existence of which we are a
part. (UU principal #7)

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com