 Off-Topic / Debate / 15121
Re: Another interesting essay & how I found it (was: gay by birth vs. gay by choice)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 16:05:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jennifer Clark writes:

There have been
comparisons made in this thread comparing resisting the urge to commit a
homosexual act as equivalent to a married individual resisiting the urge to
commit adultery; to my mind the comparison is invalid as the former involves
no harm to another person whereas the latter almost certainly does.

Not if they don't find out.

The very nature of the "harm" that takes place -- that you have to know about
it in order for it to hurt -- makes me question the validity of calling it
harm.  DaveE previously asserted that it would be bad for him to cheat on his
girlfriend, that he would feel terrible.  Why?  To my sense of things, it's bad
to hurt the feelings of another, but that's not requisite in multiple sex
partners.  The action does not inherently hurt.

It's like saying something that would hurt the feelings of an oversensitive
person (however that would be defined) but not a normal helthy person.  Sure,
someone can get hurt, but _should_ they?

Another
imbalance is that the insistence that a gay person abstain will condemn them
to a lonely life without a partner, something obviously not the case with
prohibition on adultery where by definition the person already has a
partner.

An underlying assumption in what you are saying is that a single partner is
enough to satisfy all needs.  I agree that one is better than none, but in each
case, it seems that there is some similarity where you say they are not.

Paul is not really the best advocate of Jesus's philosophy and is considered
a bit of a bigot and nutter.

I haven't read the Bible but I have heard Paul referred to as a misogynist too.

Chris