 Off-Topic / Debate / 15123
Re: Another interesting essay & how I found it (was: gay by birth vs. gay by choice)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 17:36:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jennifer Clark writes:
Another thing that confuses me is why people get their knickers in a twist
so much about gay folks; what harm do they do after all? There have been
comparisons made in this thread comparing resisting the urge to commit a
homosexual act as equivalent to a married individual resisiting the urge to
commit adultery; to my mind the comparison is invalid as the former involves
no harm to another person whereas the latter almost certainly does. Another
imbalance is that the insistence that a gay person abstain will condemn them
to a lonely life without a partner, something obviously not the case with
prohibition on adultery where by definition the person already has a
partner.

I would certainly personally agree with the sentiment. Point was being that
both acting homosexually AND wanting to cheat on a spouse are considered to be
sinful acts by some sects of Christianity, regardless of who they hurt. IE,
even if it would make the entire world happy and content, and end suffering
everywhere, it's still evil as viewed by Christianity, end of story-- because
God says so. Personally I disagree. Any God I could believe in wouldn't say
such a thing. But it doesn't mean that I can prove that those sects of
Christianity are wrong. After all, I don't know the definitive answer to
morality. I only think I've got a handle on it. I could be completely wrong.

DaveE