 Off-Topic / Debate / 15016
Re: gay by birth vs. gay by choice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 14:00:30 GMT

As Chris alluded to, homosexuality falls under the realm of behavioral
genetics and is probably an epigenetic process (e.g. acting above the
level of the genes).
Epigenetic processes are incredibally difficult to tease apart and
complex ones such as homosexuality that largely and unfortunately have
negative socialogical aspects are going to take a long time before we
figure it out.

Although, old this reference may be useful.
Lim, L. C. C.  1995. Present controversies in the genetics of male
homosexuality. Annals Academy of Medicine Singapore 24(5): 759-762.

Here are some more current ones:
Wickelgren I. 1999. Genetics - Discovery of 'gay gene' questioned.
Science 284: (5414) 571-571

Conrad P, Markens S.  2001.  Constructing the 'gay gene' in the news:
optimism and skepticism in the US and British press.  HEALTH 5: (3)
373-400 JUL 2001

here the abstract from the Conrad and Markens paper:
"In the 1990s the discovery of a 'gay gene' was widely reported in the
news media, often as front-page stories. Focusing on the print media
presentation of Dean Hamer's 1993 and 1995 scientific papers reporting
finding a genetic marker for homosexuality, we examine how these studies
were framed in a selected sample of US and British newspapers and news
magazines. We found disparate constructions of the 'gay gene' in each
press culture. The US press reported Hamer's study as good science and
treated it with 'cautious optimism' while the British press reported the
research as 'the perils of the gay gene.' We discuss how these studies
received such widespread attention and the sources and implications of
the variant images of the 'gay gene' in the news."

enjoy.

-chris