 Off-Topic / Debate / 15078
Re: gay by birth vs. gay by choice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 23:24:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
If science can prove that a gay gene exists, then the Bible has also been
proven falacious.

It is neither here nor there.  If there is a gay gene, I don't see what the
Bible has to do with it.  That is a problem for the literalists to wrestle
with.

Just asking-- what problem is created for literalists?

Idunno - as I said, that's their problem to wrestle with (I am not a
literalist).  I'm tempted to say the problem is one of their own making, but
I am hardly enough of a Bible scholar to actually say that with any
certainty.  I don't know of any, but that doesn't mean that there isn't one
somewhere.

How does the literal
Bible (Old or New Testament) contradict the existance of a gay gene? I
honestly can't think of anything that WOULD contradict unless it said
somewhere that "God won't create someone who wants to sin any more than any
other person" or something like that. Everything I've ever heard in
reference to homosexuality in the Bible has been in the Old Testament, and
never about the origin of the desire to behave homosexually. It's always
referencing the act itself, which is not a direct result of the gay gene. So
either there IS a reference to the origin of the specific urge, or there is
a reference linking the desire to the origin of desires in general.

I would think a gay gene implies that we don't have a free will.  If
homosexuality is a sin, then it implies we had the free will to not indulge
in it.  A contradiction?  Others in this discussion feel that even with a
gay gene, you still have free will, but perhaps the concept still sits
poorly with a fundamentalist's world view.  I suppose my own view is shaped
by my parents, who felt that if you are identifying yourself as a Christian,
you should be paying attention to the New Testament and not the Old, and
thus I've never been hung up with worrying that homosexuals may be sinning.

Bruce