 Off-Topic / Debate / *21531 (-100)
  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) First you must demonstrate that it's obvious. Then you must demonstrate that it's biased. Then you must demonstrate that it's a source. (also riffing on that previous joke (for those joining us late)) (...) I confess that I'll miss him, (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) As to whether Harry Browne is running(2) again, let us hope not. Yes, some Libertarians lie/cheat/steal... but we don't claim to be perfect, just forgiven... er wait, wrong tagline, try that again.... but we are actively working to make the (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) Here's a good counterpoint from (...) This quote was taken from (URL) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) I failed to include my cite: (URL) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) You make a good distinction. In the interest of fairness and disclosure, I offer some documentation of my assertion: Dubya's speech on 10/7/03 included the following statements: re: active biological/chemical weapons program: (...) and a (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The Schools

My Grandfather sent this to me via e-mail. I don't know if its true but it should be. ---...--- The following is an answering machine message for the Pacific Palisades High School in California. The school and teachers were being sued by parents who (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) You assume that because the U.S. doesn't know where stuff in Iraq is that the Iraqi leadership did not know where the stuff is. Simply not finding anything is not proof that there is/was nothing to find, it only means we haven't found it. We (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) Or become a scofflaw and ignore it. Or rationalize rewriting the law for yourself (sometimes known as pushing the limit to see if it really is a limit): all posted speed limits are really five MPH faster than listed, or heck, this road is a (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) Clearly all false... But I'm not sure he actually CLAIMED those things (what he did claim was bad enough in the lying department, though...), Dave! (...) I'm still in the "maybe" camp on that one, Dave! (...) As usual when discussing (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) But that's not the issue. The issue is that Bush, Rumsfeld, Powell, and Rice (among other admin officials and toadies) asserted that Saddam was an active and immediate threat with an active chemical/biological weapons program and an active (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) It was an example. I'm sure that if and when every single rock is turned over in Iraq that there will probably be some canisters of something that's been missing since around '91. That said, since this stuff is missing, it couldn't have been (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) Wait a minute. People can see that the US was missing some stuff for over 40 years and only recently found it but are complaining that we haven't found anything burried in the Iraqi desert after only a few months!? Color me confused. -Mike (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) Uh... The only thing the government can to do "help" the economy is to cut taxes. Everything else only makes it worse or at best has no impact. And please don't give me that "tax cuts for the rich" crap. The "rich" by the definition the (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) Mea culpa, I meant to say Guardian Unlimited. But I hold to the same logic. I read a diverse, international range of online sources. As long as it sounds like something more or less objective, I will read it and weigh it's significance against (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) I'm not really digging too many politicians lately, but let's at least keep in mind that the man is contending with one of the worst CA economies in a long time. He, like Shrub and the U.S. Congress, has done almost zero to better the (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) There is no need or will to deny it; I at least won't bother. However, you'll find the gap between funding a sustained terrorist action and supplying WMD to those terrorists to be very, very wide. If you can link WMD and supporting terrorists (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello wrote: <snip> , that does not (...) But after all that wonderful astuteness, Scott, by what right did your president have to invade a foreign country? His reasons as he listed in every speech and in every (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) I know of no mechanism for the voters to recall the president of the United States. Impeachment seems to be the only legal recourse. Yes, no? (...) Considering the long history of the United States, are you sure you wish to typify Gray Davis (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) Tell you what froggy, if you want GWB thrown out, why not take a page from the California playbook. Obviously you feel very strongly that Bush has not been a good president, and your feelings run very deep. Why not start a campaign to recall (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) the point isn't who supported terrorists and who didn't. I mean, Bush Sr helped train Osama! Reagan helped fund the mujaheddin, the religious warriors who later evolved into the Taliban! And yes SH supported suicide bombers. But specifically (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) So you deny that SH supported terrorists? How about the little stipend he offered families to have them sacrifice their children as human incendiary devices? (...) "How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?" Thanks for (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) I think the English know something about where arrogance will get you. Zulu wars, US revolution, Barbarian hordes to the north (Scottish). Something like that. I think we've got to learn yet. Mark (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) Uh-huh. You have a link for that, John? I thought not...There is no proof to support any such allegations. That lack of proof is the very issue under discussion. The president spoke in terms of dead certainties and has come up empty-handed. (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

(...) I believe that the perceived threat was never from the Iraqi military itself, but from the proliferation of WMD from SH's regime to terrorist elements such as Al Qaeda. JOHN (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?

White House 'lied about Saddam threat' (URL) A former US intelligence official who served under the Bush administration in the build-up to the Iraq war accused the White House yesterday of lying about the threat posed by Saddam Hussein. The claims (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Let the backpeddaling and blaming and obfuscating begin! (as if it hadn't already...)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote: <snip> (...) There is common ground between you and I, Richard. I believe that doing the right thing is what matters. And there were naysayers that said that we'd never find anything to agree on. (...) (21 years ago, 8-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Let the backpeddaling and blaming and obfuscating begin! (as if it hadn't already...)

Let's be clear that this is the backpedaling from the original backpedaling. We shall therefore see an infinite line of small retreats without anyone in the White House daring to admit that they were wrong to do anything anyway. Smoke and mirrors. (...) (21 years ago, 8-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Let the backpeddaling and blaming and obfuscating begin! (as if it hadn't already...)

(URL) House: Uranium claim incorrect " " WASHINGTON (AP) -- Amid questions about prewar intelligence, the White House is acknowledging that President Bush was incorrect when he said in his State of the Union address that Iraq recently had sought (...) (21 years ago, 8-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) Thanks for the info, I greatly appreciate it. (...) Hence my doubt regading this one: colony refers to settlement, or pure governance? I'll go with the first, in order to restrict the options. (...) You said nothing about independant nations (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote: <snip some good stuff that I didn't know--good geography and history lesson there> (...) Well isn't that the American Dream--get rich quick? Everything is a lawsuit these days--how much is a life (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) <snip> Funny you should mention one of the biggest 'reactionary measures' your country ever had as your example. WWII was going on well before Dec 1941, and yet the bombing of Pearl Harbour is the day that will 'live in infamy'. Not the (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote: -snip- (...) -snip- Um... Torres Strait Islanders being denied Australian Citizenship? I don't think that is the case... or are you meaning those from the coastal area of PNG (who are not Australian (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) Hawaii was a US territory during WWII, just like Puerto Rico is now. Unlike Puerto Rico, Hawaii had been seeking to become a State back in 1903, with Congress finally giving full consideration to the issue in the 1930's, well before WWII (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) I'm being preciosist here, but what exactly was the status of Hawaii in 1941? AFAIK it only became a state in 1959, and until the late 1800's it was a kingdom. Honest, I got curious when I read this! :-) (...) You may be wrong. The Republic of (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yahoo Sucks

(...) No it wouldn't. The US government, and all lesser related governments (states, counties, cities, townships, etc.) are restricted from making laws that prohibit free speech on public property. No such restrictions are made for private/corporate (...) (21 years ago, 5-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Possession

(...) The first important question is whether or not the VHS tape you bid for on eBay was a legal copy of that work. If it wasn't, it doesn't matter how much you paid for it, or even if you received it. You don't legally own a copy of that work. (...) (21 years ago, 5-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: And just to add fuel to the fire (and get roasted in the process....)

(...) Mr. King?!?!? What the... Surely the Canadian education system has tought you the difference between Martin Luther (founder of the Lutheran Church in Europe) and Martin Luther King Jr. (assassinated leader of peaceful Black Rights movement in (...) (21 years ago, 5-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) Hm, yeah, like freedom? Gosh-darn those silly Yanks and their ill-conceived idea that the world should be free of oppression... (...) There are times when being "reactionary" is the only way to prevent great evil. Think how much bloodshed and (...) (21 years ago, 5-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The Bill of Rights and Privacy

THE BILL OF RIGHTS The Conventions of a number of the States having, at the time of adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be (...) (21 years ago, 4-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen United States of America

Action of Second Continental Congress, July 4, 1776 The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen United States of America WHEN in the Course of human Events, it becomes necessary for one People to dissolve the Political Bands which have connected them (...) (21 years ago, 4-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Google fun

I got this from a list I'm on... go to google.com and type in "Weapons of Mass Destruction" as your search string and then hit "I'm feeling lucky". Supposedly it should bring you to this site: (URL) I found pretty funny. YMMV. (21 years ago, 3-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Anonymity (was Re: Music Downloads and RIAA)

"richard marchetti" <blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote in message news:HHDAGy.1AIJ@lugnet.com... (...) purposes. (...) music (...) that (...) growing (...) so it (...) According (...) file (...) could (...) then (...) I don't see what difference that will (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Anonymity (was Re: Music Downloads and RIAA)

(...) Leech!!! Blubster 2.5 Promises User Anonymity (URL) There has been growing interest in protecting user identities since the US music industry said they would start suing some of the 60 million American's that share music online. Today Blubster (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) I have no desire for your shirts, laundered or not, I have enough shirts in bad taste as it is. What was your point again? I don't recall denying where you were or weren't. What I was denying is the possibility that a US government source is (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Our troops: an economic target

(...) Only mostly concur. Better pay? Better amelioration to families if someone dies in the line of duty? You bet. Not a hesitation in the world. If we want the best armed forces in the world, we need to pay what they are worth and then some. Pride (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) Any place you can golf all winter long doesn't have one. Now, if we were talking home, then yep, I can understand the reluctance. Even when there isn't 6' of snow in Jan, the -20C days are a tad chilly. But, the climate here is atually quite (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) I didn't think that I would get into an arguing match to try and prove that I spent last summer in the (rather warm) gulf. How do you want me to do so? I have the plane stubs from my flight home, my paystubs, and my wild wadi shirt as proof... (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) Is this a conspiracy theory, Lar? =) -- Hop-Frog (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) Sure, why not. But the system is rigged and has been for some time. (...) Hardly. Most government sources are extremely biased. (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) I could have sworn that I wrote "winter" and not "snow". I could have sworn that I wrote it in CAPITALS and bold-faced it, too. It's snows every winter in Southern California, I assure you. :-) -->Bruce<-- (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) Love Question Period (at times) No politician can hide behind the position at all--even the PM. Lets see Dubya make it thur an open question period. That'd be the day--not only is he a moron, he's a spineless moron who doesn't face the harsh (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) It is apparent that you have never considered Victoria, BC. :) We rarely get snow, and you would only have to compete with ~5 of us lugnetters for the specials at TRU. James P (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) I _am_ assuming you voted last time around Lar? It is a fault of all democratic systems that there will be those minority (up to 50%-1) that are not happy with their system of representation. There are a wide varity of systems of (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote (...) ROFL! Ever watch the parliamentary debates on TV? Its like a zoo. Everyone is jumping around yelling, with the PM having to shout rebuttals over the general mayhem. Its better than so called (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) Oh, and where did Dave say it was perfect? I do believe he said that we seem to be a better nation (not the best, but better). We don't have a perfect system. You don't have a perfect system. Perhaps we had all better get used to that... James (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Our troops: an economic target

(...) Completely concur. Dave K (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Our troops: an economic target

Editorial: Nothing but lip service (URL) In recent months, President Bush and the Republican-controlled Congress have missed no opportunity to heap richly deserved praise on the military. But talk is cheap - and getting cheaper by the day, judging (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) Where are these good people that you speak of? Lynching gays in the midwest? Bashing heads belonging to dissenters in with baseball bats? Sitting in the White House committing atrocity after atrocity in the name of democracy and capitalism? (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Newsbit: "Ten Appalling Lies We Were Told About Iraq"

(...) And one more article from DU this week: (URL) " And let's not even get into the Weapons of Mass Deception, but let me add that we gave UN inspectors about 3 months to find them, so I hope that by mid-July that The State finds them, cause (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) That debating is a waste of time I think goes without saying. But what research are talking about? There's no truth out there -- just competing approximations and opinions. I accept that the news as reported can be a kind of "truth," once (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Newsbit: "Ten Appalling Lies We Were Told About Iraq"

Ten Appalling Lies We Were Told About Iraq (URL) edit: you might as well skip the first two paragraphs after the initial quote -- I would have taken them out if it were my article. -- Hop-Frog (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) You expected me to let you off the hook with this one? (...) Well, Larry, Not so much. I could go off and say that my supposed thinly veiled 'Canadianism' is in direct response to the demonstrable "Americanism", but I won't. You could insert a (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) I figured you'd go off on the tangent about who's number one again... and I was right. Address my point and spare us all the chest thumping about how great Canada is (said thumping thinly disguised as a fine puree of denial about what you're (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) Somehow I doubt that your version of 'what would have happened' in lieu of the 'revolutionary war' is quite the same idea as my version would be. That said, who knows what would have happened if you didn't have your little tea party, and the (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) Actually, we were running things the way we wanted to and the Brits reacted to that. Too radical for them. (...) Depends on whether we gun-mad 'Mericans start shipping guns to the Quebec separatists. ;-) (...) Hey, I'd love to live in Canada (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...

(...) We have the spectacle of Ashcroft and his ilk busily disassembling our freedoms, with a rigged election system in place to ensure that it is very unlikely that any non Demopublican will get elected in time to stop it, and you want us to give (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For Larry and other Libertarians

(...) So in other words you agree that the posited free rider problem is just a red herring, then? I don't need to provide this cite for you to debunk it, then, but I will toss it in anyway: (URL) The whole rest of the article is riddled with (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For Larry and other Libertarians

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek wrote: <snip> (...) But how do you get around the idea that corporations *do* follow the bottom line. I mean, it's inherently what they do. And if the environment gets screwed in the process, that's their (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: For Larry and other Libertarians

(...) Nice in the sense that it's full of straw dogs like this one: "The only way for the Randvillians to deal with the free riders is to coerce labor on the levees, or assess taxes in lieu of labor. " \ Why don't you, as a thought experiment, see (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  For Larry and other Libertarians

Though, to be said, Larry has mentioned (iirc) that he's a small 'l' libertarian... (URL) conservatives contend that virtually all economic and social institutions are better managed when privatized and unregulated. According to this libertarian (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  More throwbacks to Hitler...

(URL) that America - Ashcroft's America - is where we now live. We have plunged headlong into the past. America cringes under the shadow of a militant Homeland Security Act - a ghostly doppleganger of Adolph Hitler's 1933 "Enabling Act," which, to (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Music Downloads and RIAA

"richard marchetti" <blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote in message news:HH43D4.C71@lugnet.com... (...) infringing (...) because I (...) could be (...) right? (...) I just put two things together: Kazaa was sued by the RIAA and found to be not liable for the (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Protecting the Environment

(...) The market should decide. And the market can and *will* reach the right decision. Just make sure that ALL costs are visible and are charged to the parties that should be incurring the costs. Which is the point of the article and of the book. (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Protecting the Environment

(...) I like the bit where gov't agencies change their mind when it's them that's losing the money. As per usual, money talks. I'm all for capitalistic endeavours, but there has to be a line, and who's going to decide where that line is? THe line (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Protecting the Environment

As of posting the link refers to the June 17th 2003 (released after 18th) article. (URL) Petrucelli (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Supreme Court strikes down anti sodomy laws

(...) How grotesque. The nightmare of the Anti-Federalists come to life: that which is not stated explicitly is therefore not a right. Ergo, the 9th Amendment is not worth even the words with which it is stated. Scalia used to impress me with his (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Supreme Court strikes down anti sodomy laws

Yaay. Perhaps one of the best rulings so far this term (I was somewhat unimpressed with the U of M law school ruling). (URL) gets it: 'The case does involve two adults who, with full and mutual consent from each other, engaged in sexual practices (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Music Downloads and RIAA

Q&A: Will I be sued for music-swapping? (URL) Yikes! That article seems full of misleading and possibly false information. Now, I'm not the expert on these cases but it is my understanding that the student that was sued was actually running only a (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: The Hidden Costs (was Re: It's All About Control)

(...) It was either getting all the formatting right so that my reply looked reasonably good, or just convert it to Plain... Lessee here... FTX away-- (2 URLs) Sparky's Space--Where Sparky has his Space... Oops, now it's almost on-topic! ;) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: The Hidden Costs (was Re: It's All About Control)

Dude: You're killing my gorgeous FTX design scheme with your psycho plain text!!! -- Hop-Frog (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: The Hidden Costs (was Re: It's All About Control)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote: <snip the rest which is great stuff> (...) Gee, if you're Canadian, at least medical comes with the citizenship--you *always* have 1 on the list(not that I'm singing the greatness of Canada--the (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The Hidden Costs (was Re: It's All About Control)

(...) Wal-Mart Wars (URL) WOULD YOU LIKE a Wal-Mart "supercenter" store to move into your community? Think of the low prices and the convenience of one-stop shopping! You just park once and get whatever you need -- groceries, drugs, plants, toys, (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Military Trial rules felt to be unfair

Shhh -- don't ask, don't tell. This is not america. -- Hop-Frog (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Cato Institute: Leave Iraq as soon as possible

(...) What's your evidence that either suspicion is justified? Good minds and serious money have been thrown at both issues and we've come up with basically zero. Certainly nothing public, and I can't see why they'd hide it at this point seeing as (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Cato Institute: Leave Iraq as soon as possible

Opposing view editorial in today's USA Today (or "Mc Paper" as I prefer to call it, the WSJ was late getting to the hotel today): (URL) from Cato on this topic: (URL) reiterate my position: - This was a war we should not have sought, should not have (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Military Trial rules felt to be unfair

From the Associated Press: (URL) have to fix wrapping, sorry) Apparently civilian lawyers are not falling all over themselves to give probono (the government isn't paying for lawyers, these are after all not US citizens we're talking about here) (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  BBC Three's "Bush Family Fortunes: The Third Degree"

Has anyone seen this and care to comment? -- Hop-Frog (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: It's All About Control (was: Re: Possession)

(...) I am not nostalgic in the least -- I calls them as I sees them. Mom and Pop may have been inefficient, but so ultimately is ANY "bricks 'n' mortar" location except as a distribution center. For many things it is becoming increasingly clearer (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Newsbits: Distortion of evidence, Faith Bias (as if we didn't know)

Chief U.N. inspectors criticizes U.S. for insisting Iraq has weapons (URL) "It is sort of puzzling I think that you can have 100 per cent certainty about the weapons of mass destruction's existence, and zero certainty about where they are," he said. (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

"John" <John@TCLTC.org> wrote in message news:HGzuzJ.EE9@lugnet.com... (...) the (...) really (...) mind is (...) them. (...) unscrupulous (...) the (...) government. (...) That's another reason why I pushed for a completely free system. If there's (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All About Control (was: Re: Possession)

(...) If you play Monopoly, and your buddy buys up all the properties (including the Railroads), what happens? You end up paying for everything. Now take that to the real world (and many people can see where this is going already--rocket scientists (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: It's All About Control (was: Re: Possession)

(...) Do you have a cite for that? Quantity of patents is not necessarily a metric for quality of scientific innovation. I would say rather that a lot of important advancements and developments (things like the Palm) are made by people who leave (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: It's All About Control (was: Re: Possession)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek wrote: <snip> (...) Sorry I misread then--on this above point I'll completely agree. I saw Wendy Woo in a pub in Denver last Christmas and I bought a few of her CD's and they're extraordinary. Much talent (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All About Control (was: Re: Possession)

(...) Disagree. They compete with each other (Although I do recognize that there are some industries that need to be regulated for the common good). (...) You are being nostalgic. Mom and Pop were inefficient. Walmart brought more variety, more (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: It's All About Control (was: Re: Possession)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John Neal wrote: <snip> (...) K, not the best example ever, but didn't the entertainment industry go on about 'v-chips' and warning labels on music? Of course they did it so that they wouldn't be 'regulated' into it by (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: It's All About Control (was: Re: Possession)

(...) Not by me... I think they are both good ideas. I just don't know if it or they will fly in the current environment with the BigCorps having their strangleholds on things. We need systemic change to restore the Free Market back to what it once (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  And just to add fuel to the fire (and get roasted in the process....)

(URL) what's up with Canada? First it refuses to support the Bush Administration's little rape-and-pillage adventure in Iraq – which is more than we can say for Democrats in Washington – and now it has legalized civil unions among gays and lesbians. (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All About Control (was: Re: Possession)

(...) Dude, that is 20/20 hindsight. What about paying Arnold 20 mil when the film grosses $200 mil? (...) Ahhh, at what point is that? Government intervention? Think it through. (...) I realize that, Dave, but how else can anything get (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: It's All About Control (was: Re: Possession)

(...) Well, it was just an idea along the lines of a 'universal library of stuff' that could be checked out that this thread was going on about. So the ideas about paying the recording artists directly from funds fm the checkouts from this library (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All About Control (was: Re: Possession)

(...) Good. Start a studio, then, and use that funding model. I think you're a sure fire bet to draw lots of big name stars, and more importantly, the smaller named crafts people who do most of the work, because they'll get a better shake. (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact