 Off-Topic / Debate / 21438
Re: It's All About Control (was: Re: Possession)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:22:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   Here is a great example of some profound fundamental differences between the Right and Left....Let the free market work out that stuff. Now, if you are afraid of unscrupulous entreprenuers screwing the little guy, than I’ll gladly agree and take the discussion to the topic of morality and ethics which is really the crux of the issue.

The free market only works between natural persons, once you allow fictitious persons (i.e. deathless corporations) into the marketplace you have killed freedom of trade and replaced it with the heavy gravity of monopolistic leviathans with which almost no one can compete.

Disagree. They compete with each other (Although I do recognize that there are some industries that need to be regulated for the common good).

   Natural persons and laws begin to orbit the various corporations because money attracts money, everyone wants in on the action. Look around you, the death of Mom and Pop stores and the rise of the likes of Walmart is proof of my statement.

You are being nostalgic. Mom and Pop were inefficient. Walmart brought more variety, more jobs, cheaper prices. Mom and Pop can survive by marketing their “nostalgia”, catering to folks like you who would be willing to put up with higher prices and worse selection to avoid patronizing large corporations...

   This is a problem the right has never addressed except to lamely suggest that what is good for the many corporations is also good for you (which I am positive is false!).

I disagree. Most important advances in science, computers, and technology are being made by large corporations. They are engine of advancement, which does elevate the standard of living for everyone.

   I’m not worried about morality and ethics, just basic fairness. You’ve set up a straw man and ignored the real issue, John -- as usual. There is more to economics and politics than is dreamt of in your philosophy.

What is “fair”?

   BTW, my conception of the Great Archive is a cooperative venture that may or may not have to do with govt. involvement -- really I imagined it would take a supra-national form in any case. The concept was one of the commons, which does not belong to any govt. -- it belongs to everyone together.

I think that is your governmental view as well-- one world, one government. That is anti-American. But correct me if I’m wrong in that assumption.

JOHN