 Off-Topic / Debate / 21431
Re: It's All About Control (was: Re: Possession)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:52:47 GMT

   Anyway, it’s a bit of a tangent on the current debate, but I would like to see something like that implemented for the entertainment industry at large (1)

Dave K 1- haven’t thorougly thought this line of reasoning out and am open to other ideas, it’s just a discussion idea.

Here is a great example of some profound fundamental differences between the Right and Left. Anytime you talk of “implementing” something, what you really mean is for the government to take it over and control it. That in my mind is not the function of government-- to restrict my rights, just protect them. Let the free market work out that stuff. Now, if you are afraid of unscrupulous entreprenuers screwing the little guy, than I’ll gladly agree and take the discussion to the topic of morality and ethics which is really the crux of the issue.

You can’t legislate morality, especially coming from an amoral entity like government. When you reject God and Religion, you cannot substitute government. You invariabley end up with the likes of Stalin.

JOHN

I don’t think I mentioned the gov’t takig over the entertainment industry--I was talking about people getting paid what they’re worth, or what their product is worth.

Paying Arnold 20 mil to star in a movie that makes 15 mil in total isn’t the best idea. Now there are those that say, “Well, if the studio’s willing to pay out these 20 mil+ to actors to star in any film, then that’s the studio’s decision.” I agree, to a point. But I’d *like* to see people getting paid what they’re worth, and in entertainment--which is almost the purest form of democracy--people talk with the money they pay for what they want to see/hear/read, etc...

Anyway, it was *just* a point of discussion, John, and I didn’t bring the gov’t into it.

Dave K