 Off-Topic / Debate / 21422
Re: Possession
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:45:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Sciortino wrote:
   I refuse to believe what Brittany Spears does is “art.” ;)

No argument there, it was just an example of wealth from someone whose supposed career is making music. Her real career is more truthfully hypnotizing youth culture with her boobs so that they buy into a fake Barbie & Ken music fantasy of sugar water and other obnoxious unnecessaries.

   ...but I don’t see it as such a problem if people can’t make big money and live in mansions for creating art (even great art). On the other hand, if they can’t even earn enough to live in a decent house and raise a family, that’s very bad. The bottom line is, if the system I’ve described were to actually be implemented, many things wouldn’t change, but many great things would never be created. You’ve made me think about that. As we say in Unreal Tourney, nice shot. ;)

I’m not sure. If the library database were funded such that it could purchase at least 50,000 copies of something deemed valuable (say by a direct vote of at least as many library users) then maybe some people could actually make a living creating strictly for the library and not being too worried about sales to individuals. In a way, this scheme could open the door to real patronage instead of it being strictly at the whim of some fairly bizarre market forces deemed important by the current publishing/distribution industries.

   Then again, people find the time to do what they love.

Exactly so.

BTW, there’s this article I was just tipped off to from Slashdot: http://www.msnbc.com/news/929428.asp?0cv=TB10

Why the government is now in the business of prosecuting patent and copyright violations remains a mystery to me. One Slashdot commentator made an extremely astute point about such legislation passing the cost of a what should be a corporate (and therefore private) concern to the taxpayers (as if the public should foot the bill of what the music industry wants to do). Do I have to mention that something that used to be conceived of as a civil dispute between private parties is now being seen primarily as a criminal matter under more recent laws (Sonny Bono, etc).

How much more nonsense must we endure before some of this stupid patent and copyright law is undone and the commons returned to the people? I think when the law has gotten to a point where it is pointedly ridiculous and unfair, people just stop caring and move onto things like P2P because it just makes more sense to them. I mean, I can’t believe the music industry is doing those crippled CDs that won’t play on computers -- that is not only unfair, it’s not even complying with Philips CD standards, right? So people mistakenly purchase something that looks like a CD but isn’t really a CD after all. Yeah, good luck taking that back to a music retailer after you’ve opened it. Obviously getting stuff for free is a motivating factor, but so is reasonableness.

-- Hop-Frog