 Off-Topic / Debate / 21420
Re: Possession
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 20:05:39 GMT

Tom:

I found much of your post deeply interesting and thought provoking. Your idea of the giant archive/database is truly compelling and shows the enormous flaw in the many schemes that publishers are pursuing. Sure, the publishers are pursuing the idea for money, but what if someone pursued the idea for the public good? Really interesting stuff...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Sciortino wrote:
   This could get messy quick, which is why it’s so interesting. I suspect in the end, the biggest problem here would not be if it’s legal or illegal. It would be the record companies trying to push it towards illegal so that they can sell you a cd of the LP you already own.

I believe this is the current state of affairs. Sure, they make money if you buy modern pop tripe, but it’s the back catalogue that’s the real gravy. Or so I understand.

   Yes, there are technical snags. This system would require DRM on computers > (so that no one could listen to a song that’s already “checked out”) and DRM > is bad.

I don’t see it as automatically bad, unless it’s purpose is to also defeat fair use. Then I agree that it’s bad, and unfair -- and much of the DRM out there is bad DRM, and ultimately actionable in my opinion.

On the other hand, I think that in your scenario all you are proposing is that an item in a database be flagged as “status = out” and for the item to therefore be unavailable until it becomes “status = in.”

As far as keeping things “status = out” via a pause button or something, this could be prevented by an automatic system that allows an item to be checked out for an absolute maximum of 50% again the time it would take to view or listen to a databased item -- in other words, a 2 hour movie is available for a maximum of 3 hours, or until it is checked back in: “status = in.” The only thing that would be different would be eBooks which could follow the current standard 2-3 weeks check out time unless renewed, etc.

   In fact (oh yes, I’m only getting started here... ;) I dare say that today’s file swapping practically does work this way.

I think I have to agree with that assessment -- there is no way that we are ultilizing more copies at a given time than are actually out there.

I’m a little disturbed by what this might mean to the creation of art or informational media. I do think that people have the right to earn something for their labors and I am not so bent on the entry of everything immediately into the commons that we disparage the arts and progress overall.

The reality is that very few people actually make any serious money creating novels, artwork, or even stuff like acting, or software engineering -- I don’t mean just making a living, I mean the extravagant wealth of say people like Harold Robbins, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Picasso, Brittany Spears etc.

And for the library to work, at least some copies would have to be purchased to stock it’s supplies of a given item -- some but not probably that many copies. I dunno, it would take away the thrill and possibility of getting rich quick through writing a bestseller or the like. Is that a good thing?

And see, here’s the thing: music is often used as a kind of promotion for what the artist really does to make money: perform for the price of many, many tickets. In the case of say a book, the book is the end itself -- there is no way for you to have enjoyed the book for free and then remunerate the author through some subsequent event or activity. Same thing with movies, works of “fine” art etc. -- anything not predicated on performance as it’s main form. If you can get the thing for free, not too many people are going to want to pay for it. Of course, P2P has put us on this road already. So it’s a problem already.

I dunno. Maybe we will eventually have to move away from capitalism as we know it and more towards something more like Star Trek -- whatever the heck their economy is based on.

   Yes, there’s no escape. I’m definitely now part of off-topic.debate. So this is where all the spacers go after dark, eh Hop-Frog?

Spacers?! Lugnuts, more like it. Lugnet nutters.

-- Hop-Frog