 Off-Topic / Debate / 21436
Re: It's All About Control (was: Re: Possession)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:18:38 GMT

I don't think I mentioned the gov't takig over the entertainment industry--I
was talking about people getting paid what they're worth, or what their
product is worth.

Good.

Start a studio, then, and use that funding model. I think you're a sure fire bet
to draw lots of big name stars, and more importantly, the smaller named crafts
people who do most of the work, because they'll get a better shake.

Seriously.

And if we can get some changes in corporate law through so that the "deathless
corps" lose their liability shield (instead, corp officers are held personally
accountable for stuff), lose their political pull, lose their regulatory
shielding, etc, etc, etc.... maybe a studio like yours might actually have a
chance since it would be competing on a fairer playing field.

Oh, and one other suggestion (somewhat more facetious than the above).. when
casting about for types of movies to do, stick to fantasy. :-)

Well, it was just an idea along the lines of a 'universal library of stuff' that
could be checked out that this thread was going on about.

So the ideas about paying the recording artists directly from funds fm the
checkouts from this library is not so far fetched, but having studios pay the
actors a percentage of the revenue is answered with contempt and
facetiousness,

Not by me... I think they are both good ideas. I just don't know if it or they
will fly in the current environment with the BigCorps having their strangleholds
on things. We need systemic change to restore the Free Market back to what it
once was, we are strangled now with rules and regulations that favor the
entrenched and restrict competition.

The answer, however, is not more rules to try to rebalance, it's a machete to
cut away the jungle of rules already in place ...

making my idea sound like it was *really* far fetched.

And that machete to tame the jungle of unfettered advantage... THAT's what's
really far fetched, my friend, not your studio idea. Hence my despair at things
ever changing in the US for the better, sans a revolution. Maybe they might, and
that would be great. But I'm not holding my breath.

So, meanwhile, I do my part as much as I can... whenever I go to a bar and see a
band I like, I buy their CD(s). Direct. No middleman. Capitalism at its finest.
Am I spitting in the wind thinking that I'm helping? Maybe. But I have less
Britney, et al, and more *good* music in my collection than the average schmo.

Hmmmm, Jack made a handsome salary on "Batman", being paid by percentages,
Affleck did not for "Pearl Harbor".  So which little idea just discussed in this
thread has *already* happened?

Making it a good example, within the limits of the system. Is it a valid example
to reason about an ideal system where the power of the BigCorps is broken and
the Free Market is allowed to reign free again? Some would say yes, and some
would say no.

Hacks off the stage please.

Meaning?