 Off-Topic / Debate / 21435
21434  |  21436
Subject:
And just to add fuel to the fire (and get roasted in the process....)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:08:13 GMT

http://www.democraticunderground.com/articles/03/06/24_canada.html

"
So what's up with Canada? First it refuses to support the Bush Administration's
little rape-and-pillage adventure in Iraq – which is more than we can say for
Democrats in Washington – and now it has legalized civil unions among gays and
lesbians. All this while offering its citizens universal health care.
"

Vive le Canada!

"
Meanwhile here in the land of the free, Presbyterian minister Stephen Van Kuiken
was defrocked last week for sharing god's love with all people who seek it.
"

'Cause you know how compassionate and caring ministers are 'all the rage in
media' right now...

"
In maintaining his belief in God's love and mercy for all creation, Rev. Van
Kuiken ennobles the cause of Christianity despite the voices of those who would
use it as a tool to spread hate. And in defying the Presbytery he joins some
pretty good company.

Nearly 500 years ago, Martin Luther was brought before the power elite of the
medieval church and ordered to renounce his faith. "My conscience is captive to
the word of God," Luther told them, "and I cannot and I will not recant
anything, for to go against conscience is neither safe nor right."

"Here I stand," Luther concluded. "I cannot do otherwise. God help me. Amen."
"

God help all of us, Mr. King, God help all of us.

"
Faced with an insane war, directed primarily at the children and the elderly in
Iraq (and anybody else who can't get the hell out of the way of the First Marine
Division), the Democrats mumble and scuff the toes of their wing-tip shoes on
the carpet and promise that "pretty soon" they'll be able to challenge this
murderous regime.
"

Demopublicans... 'nuff said.

"
With only a handful of exceptions, the Democratic leadership seems to have
adopted a position that standing up to the Bush Administration amounts to
cowering in a corner and begging Karl Rove, "Please don't hurt us."
"

I think that quotation and corresponding idea behind it was originally in a West
Wing ep (names changed to protect the not-so-innocent).  I wonder if this is a
plagaristic thingy happening here...

"
We need to stop apologizing for wanting a country where we recognize that every
individual is part of a community, and that communities must be based on
justice. We need to stop apologizing for the belief that people who work for a
living ought to be able to earn a decent wage. We need to stop apologizing for
wanting health care for everybody.

That's not too much to expect in the richest nation on earth. If we don't stop
appeasing the Republicans and start articulating our own message – one that's a
genuine alternative – we might as well hand over the government to the Bush
Administration for another four years.
"

Yep, not too much to expect from a people who believe that gov't should stay out
of everything except the bedroom and the gun closet.

Dave K