 Off-Topic / Debate / 21434
Re: It's All About Control (was: Re: Possession)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:06:13 GMT

   I don’t think I mentioned the gov’t takig over the entertainment industry--I was talking about people getting paid what they’re worth, or what their product is worth.

Paying Arnold 20 mil to star in a movie that makes 15 mil in total isn’t the best idea.

Dude, that is 20/20 hindsight. What about paying Arnold 20 mil when the film grosses $200 mil?

   Now there are those that say, “Well, if the studio’s willing to pay out these 20 mil+ to actors to star in any film, then that’s the studio’s decision.” I agree, to a point.

Ahhh, at what point is that? Government intervention? Think it through.

   But I’d *like* to see people getting paid what they’re worth, and in entertainment--which is almost the purest form of democracy--people talk with the money they pay for what they want to see/hear/read, etc...

Anyway, it was *just* a point of discussion, John, and I didn’t bring the gov’t into it.

I realize that, Dave, but how else can anything get “implemented”? Only a government can exert such control over a given industry.

As far as people getting paid their “worth”, everybody gets paid what they are worth. That is the beauty of the free market. The second an actor signs a deal for $X, that is their given worth. Their worth, though, is subject to change in a free market...

JOHN