 Off-Topic / Debate / 21423
Re: Possession
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:09:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:

   As far as keeping things “status = out” via a pause button or something, this could be prevented by an automatic system that allows an item to be checked out for an absolute maximum of 50% again the time it would take to view or

   I’m a little disturbed by what this might mean to the creation of art or informational media. I do think that people have the right to earn something for their labors and I am not so bent on the entry of everything immediately into the commons that we disparage the arts and progress overall.

   And for the library to work, at least some copies would have to be purchased to stock it’s supplies of a given item -- some but not probably that many copies.

   I dunno. Maybe we will eventually have to move away from capitalism as we know it and more towards something more like Star Trek -- whatever the heck their economy is based on.

Do IP rights have to be bought the way they are now? The reason this library idea is very cool is because it follows the law of today, yet gets more media to more people...right? Why not just set up this giant media database but charge microfees for use? In this scenario, the IP is just being temporarily licensed to the user.

Also, I’m not seeing how being less capitalistic is beneficial in this case. You also wouldn’t need to limit the checkout time for a given piece if you were just charging a cent per hour or whatever and the artists get paid. I’m envisioning everyone having an account; money flows out of your account and into the DB which takes a cut -- and then back out to the content providers.

It would be cleaner if everything had the same cost per unit time, but I’m not sure there’s any really good reason to do that. The content providers could price their work however they wanted so whether you wanted to listen to a particular song or not might be based in part on the cost.

Another great thing about such a DB-driven library (regardless of cost to user) is that user profiles could be compiled by those who wanted to rate the works they accessed and the profiles could be matched up for intelligent recommendations.

If such a “library” were providing remuneration to the artists/producers, would it stifle the arts industries? It seems as likely to provide the fertile ground needed for a renaissance.

Chris