 Off-Topic / Debate / 21430
Re: It's All About Control (was: Re: Possession)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:13:03 GMT

   Here is a great example of some profound fundamental differences between the Right and Left....Let the free market work out that stuff. Now, if you are afraid of unscrupulous entreprenuers screwing the little guy, than I’ll gladly agree and take the discussion to the topic of morality and ethics which is really the crux of the issue.

The free market only works between natural persons, once you allow fictitious persons (i.e. deathless corporations) into the marketplace you have killed freedom of trade and replaced it with the heavy gravity of monopolistic leviathans with which almost no one can compete. Natural persons and laws begin to orbit the various corporations because money attracts money, everyone wants in on the action. Look around you, the death of Mom and Pop stores and the rise of the likes of Walmart is proof of my statement. This is a problem the right has never addressed except to lamely suggest that what is good for the many corporations is also good for you (which I am positive is false!).

I’m not worried about morality and ethics, just basic fairness. You’ve set up a straw man and ignored the real issue, John -- as usual. There is more to economics and politics than is dreamt of in your philosophy.

BTW, my conception of the Great Archive is a cooperative venture that may or may not have to do with govt. involvement -- really I imagined it would take a supra-national form in any case. The concept was one of the commons, which does not belong to any govt. -- it belongs to everyone together.

-- Hop-Frog