 Off-Topic / Debate / 21442
Re: It's All About Control (was: Re: Possession)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 21:37:03 GMT

"John" <John@TCLTC.org> wrote in message news:HGzuzJ.EE9@lugnet.com...

Here is a great example of some profound fundamental differences between • the
Right and Left.  Anytime you talk of "implementing" something, what you • really
mean is for the government to take it over and control it.  That in my • mind is
{not} the function of government-- to restrict my rights, just protect • them.
Let the free market work out that stuff.  Now, if you are afraid of • unscrupulous
entreprenuers screwing the little guy, than I'll gladly agree and take the
discussion to the topic of morality and ethics which is really the crux of • the
issue.

You can't legislate morality, especially coming from an amoral entity like
government.  When you reject God and Religion, you cannot substitute • government.
You invariabley end up with the likes of Stalin.

[JOHN]

That's another reason why I pushed for a completely free system.  If there's
no money involved, big business won't be involved.  While I don't trust the
Government to "take care of me," I trust American big business even less.
The best model will be both out of the hands of government, as well as big
business.  So far, the only solution I see is that there be no money
involved.

I shy away from these "pay per play," "micro-fee," and all these others
schemes because they're too complicated.  They require commitees, and
business, and regulation, and DRM, and... Anyway, they leave too much room
for beauracracy and big business to stick their noses into.  We need
something simple and something free.  Here's another idea: a free library
with a paypal link database (or something like that) of all the artists
contained in the library.  Suggested donation: 50 cents per song.  Once you
download it, it's yours.  You can give a copy to
sister/brother/friend/whoever.  There would be no anti-copy restrictions.
The idea here is to make the library so easy to use that friend/whoever
would rather just fetch their own copy from the library and maybe donate 50
cents.

Today's p2p may or may not be unfair to artists, but there's one essential
thing it's got: it's completely open and uncontrollable (the RIAA, of
course, knows this and naturally, that's why they hate it--a music
distribution model that they can't control is unacceptable to them).

You mention that morality and ethics is the crux of the issue, and you are
dead on.  I don't trust the government in that area.  I don't trust big
business in that area.  Unfortunately, I can ordinarily only think of two
entities who wield enough power to implement such a Great Library, and they
are: Government and Big Business.

Then along comes the fluke we call p2p, which has, in essence, created just
such a library.  An interesting turn of events...

-- Tom