 Off-Topic / Debate / 21443
Newsbits: Distortion of evidence, Faith Bias (as if we didn't know)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:57:18 GMT

Chief U.N. inspectors criticizes U.S. for insisting Iraq has weapons

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/030624/w062416.html

“It is sort of puzzling I think that you can have 100 per cent certainty about the weapons of mass destruction’s existence, and zero certainty about where they are,” he said. “We were more prudent in our assessment and I think that was shown to be pretty wise.”

Expert Said to Tell Legislators He Was Pressed to Distort Some Evidence

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/25/international/worldspecial/25INTE.html?pagewanted=print&position=

WASHINGTON, June 24 - A top State Department expert on chemical and biological weapons told Congressional committees in closed-door hearings last week that he had been pressed to tailor his analysis on Iraq and other matters to conform with the Bush administration’s views, several Congressional officials said today.

The officials described what they said was a dramatic moment at a House Intelligence Committee hearing last week when the weapons expert came forward to tell Congress he had felt such pressure.

By speaking out, they said, the senior intelligence expert, identified by several officials as Christian Westermann, became the first member of the intelligence community on active service to make this sort of admission to members of Congress.

The House Intelligence Committee was examining questions concerning the Bush administration’s handling of prewar reports on evidence that Iraq had illegal weapons and ties to terrorist groups.

Mr. Westermann, officials said, is an analyst in the State Department’s Bureau of Intelligence and Research, a small but important office at the State Department that is intended to provide the secretary of state with intelligence analysis independent of the C.I.A. and other agencies.

Mr. Westermann told lawmakers last week that while he felt pressure, he never actually changed the wording of any of his intelligence reports.

White House Launches Crusade To Promote Taxpayer-Funded Job Bias

http://www.au.org/press/pr030624a.htm

The Bush administration’s heightened campaign to legalize religious discrimination with public funds is an appalling endorsement of government-approved job bias, according to Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

Today the Bush administration is escalating its crusade to persuade Congress and the public that churches should be allowed to discriminate in employment on religious grounds when hiring staff for government social service programs. As part of his “faith- based” initiative, President George W. Bush is seeking to grant churches an exemption to the civil rights laws that apply to other government-funded organizations.

-- Hop-Frog