 Off-Topic / Debate / 21450
21449  |  21451
Subject:
The Hidden Costs (was Re: It's All About Control)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:15:44 GMT

   You are being nostalgic. Mom and Pop were inefficient. Walmart brought more variety, more jobs, cheaper prices.

Wal-Mart Wars

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/06/26/ED186944.DTL&type=printable

WOULD YOU LIKE a Wal-Mart “supercenter” store to move into your community? Think of the low prices and the convenience of one-stop shopping! You just park once and get whatever you need -- groceries, drugs, plants, toys, dog food, even eyeglasses.

Sounds great, doesn’t it? So why have nearly 200 communities refused to allow such big-box stores to enter their lives? Do they know something we don’t?

To find out, I embedded myself in the Wal-Mart wars that have recently broken out in Contra Costa County. What I learned, in a nutshell, is that Wal- Mart’s nonunion, big-box stores drag down other workers’ salaries, destroy downtown businesses, prevent smart-growth development and increase traffic congestion. What really surprised me though is that we, the taxpayers, end up subsidizing Wal-Mart stores by paying for the health and retirement needs of its workers.

snip

In making its decision, the board cited a study done by the San Diego County Taxpayers Association (SDCTA), a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization. It found that an influx of big-box stores into San Diego would result in an annual decline in wages and benefits between $105 million and $221 million, and an increase of $9 million in public health costs. SDCTA also estimated that the region would lose pensions and retirement benefits valued between $89 million and $170 million per year and that even increased sales and property tax revenues would not cover the extra costs of necessary public services. “Good jobs, good pay, and good benefits should be the goal of an economy,” SDCTA concluded, “and supercenters are not consistent with that objective.”

The reality of Wal-Mart is even worse than what is discussed in the foregoing article. Wal-Mart often refuses to provide workers with full-time jobs in order to avoid providing the kinds of benefits full-time workers normally receive (stuff like medical, dental, vacation, etc.). In order to get away with that annoying tactic, Wal-Mart has to make certain full-time workers work even more hours in order to maximize the profit of paying the benefits of that worker -- this often takes the form of forced overtime that is sometimes unpaid (google the lawsuits brewing over unpaid OT). It just goes on and on like this when you start digging even a little.

Here’s the life I imagine for the clueless, they have:
• a full-time job
• a retirement plan
• medical and dental
• a religious organization of which they are a member that provides at least some fall back position when families fall on hard times (the Relief Society, Deseret Industries -- LDS/Mormon examples because that’s what I know).

I ask the clueless: Do you have any idea how many americans do not have any of those four things? Sure, sure -- they should rush right on out and get those things immediately, yes? From whom? Wal-Mart?

-- Hop-Frog