 Off-Topic / Debate / 21437
Re: It's All About Control (was: Re: Possession)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:20:08 GMT

snip

   Anyway, it was *just* a point of discussion, John, and I didn’t bring the gov’t into it.

I realize that, Dave, but how else can anything get “implemented”? Only a government can exert such control over a given industry.

K, not the best example ever, but didn’t the entertainment industry go on about ‘v-chips’ and warning labels on music? Of course they did it so that they wouldn’t be ‘regulated’ into it by ‘big brother’, but they did it anyway without the gov’t saying “You must do it!”

And haven’t things been ‘implemented’ in the entertainment industry beause that’s what ‘the people’ wanted? And isn’t an idea like paying people precentages of the profit just something else to consider in a medium where it could actually work?

When I first sterted thinking about this idea of paying people on percentages, gov’t finagling wasn’t even close to what I had in mind.

As far as people getting paid their “worth”, everybody gets paid what they are worth. That is the beauty of the free market. The second an actor signs a deal for $X, that is their given worth. Their worth, though, is subject to change in a free market...

Well, another way of looking at their worth is what the film actually made--“Hey, this film made 200 million dollars. Actor X over there contributed to 2 percent of the film, he gets 2 percent of the money.”

I dunno, it was an *idea*.

When I worked for a roofing company, there were two ways to get paid--by the hour or by the ‘square’ (square of shingles hammered down). Now if you get paid by the hour, you take your time, have coffee breaks (maybe a little long ;) ) and get the job done sometime.

Get paid by the square, and you hammer quickly. Now both methods have the overarching ‘protection’ that the customer must be satisfied with the work at the end so you can’t slap a whole bunch of shingles down all messy-like, so there is that ‘protection clause’ in the work.

But getting paid what you’re worth in this instance is more directly related to getting paid by the square, then by the hour--you can do many things to stretch out your hours of working, but you can’t stretch out the actual roof.

THis is where the idea started coming from. My dad was a mason and he had the same thing--get paid by the hour or by the brick--he’d rather get paid by the brick ‘cause he’d finish a job quicker and better than anybody else, and be on to the next job before them, therefore making more money.

It’s just a thought.

Dave K

JOHN