 Off-Topic / Debate / 21419
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 19:46:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Terry Prosper wrote:

   Guns are weapons. The argument that people use weapons for defense is typical of a violent society like the US. People here don’t feel the need to get a weapon because there are very few violent criminals out there. The 2nd ammendment (am i correct? the one about having the right to own a gun for self-defense against the king of England...) was written for a very particular situation. That situation is not relevant nowadays. Therefore, the whole 2nd ammendment argument is only used by ignorant peoples to justify their morbid need to own a weapon.

Hmmmmm, is it morbid just to like a big kaboom? I like the kaboom of fireworks. Admittedly, .22 are a simple crack, a 9mil is more of a bang, and you have to get into something bigger than that to even rate a boom much less a kaboom! But yes, there’s probably something disfunctional about the US with all the angry people floating about, and I’m not convinced that adding weapons to the mix is necessarily wise. Still, if the loons have them, I’m not sure that I shouldn’t follow suit - though my 2.5 foot knife (Dundee has nothing on me) is probably scarier than some tiny handgun.

Studies have shown that having a weapon at your disposal when you get angry increases dramatically the chance of you using it as a “problem-solvier” (as if a gun could solve anything). People are carrying guns for their safety, but what this does is that people have guns at hand-reach whenever they get out of control. Oh, of course, carrying a gun is illegal you’ll say, but those regular guys and ladies that carry guns in their car or handbags, they wouldn’t have one if it wasn’t so easy to buy one.

Cut me off, willya? Bang! That’ll larn ya!

And getting a concealed weapon permit is not impossible to get in most states. Even California is hit or miss - forget it in Los Angeles County, but in San Bernadino County where I live it can be done.

Look, Larry, come live in here for a while and you’ll see what I mean when I say that gun control is a good thing.

I’d just as soon everyone disarm, but then again, Nixon might have declared himself Dictator for Life (or so the fantasy goes). Would you be saying gun control is a good thing if Dubya was your president? :-)

-->Bruce<--