 Off-Topic / Debate / 21468
Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:18:57 GMT

http://www.democraticunderground.com/articles/03/06/27_democracy.html

"
Alas, that America - Ashcroft's America - is where we now live. We have plunged
headlong into the past. America cringes under the shadow of a militant Homeland
Security Act - a ghostly doppleganger of Adolph Hitler's 1933 "Enabling Act,"
which, to ensure security of the homeland, effectively cancelled constitutional
freedoms of German citizens. Like Germany of 70 years ago, America is a nation
so mesmerized by fear - so uninformed by its corporate media - that our
bipartisan Congress transferred with nary a whimper, and without public debate,
all military, police, law enforcement, judicial, and surveillance powers to the
executive branch, or Reich.
"

But I'm the one that was admonished for "gun laws" that hearkened back to
Germany:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=21354

And rightly so, I'd say.

We have the spectacle of Ashcroft and his ilk busily disassembling our freedoms,
with a rigged election system in place to ensure that it is very unlikely that
any non Demopublican will get elected in time to stop it, and you want us to
give up the second amendment, what little we have left of it, as being outmoded.

Here's a radical idea... maybe the founding fathers were thinking ahead, not
being reactive, when they wrote that clause. Maybe they were right and you were
wrong?

Maybe our revolution, paid for with our blood and treasure, paved the way for a
bunch of free rider countries like yours to get away with a bloodless parting
from England.

How much is your semi-freedom worth to you? That much? OK, send us a check since
we paid for it. Or are you OK with free riding after all?

Somehow I doubt that your version of 'what would have happened' in lieu of the
'revolutionary war' is quite the same idea as my version would be.

That said, who knows what would have happened if you didn't have your little tea
party, and the fall-out thereafter.

What I see is that today the Brits are not the 'tyranny' you escaped from.  This
tells me that, eventually, society evolves, with or without your revolutions.
Why?  Because history so much has taught us this.  We came out of the cave, we
crossed the sea, we expanded our influence to the macro and to the micro, and
thru it all, we evolved and learned and grew up.

To say that Canada is the country it is today *because* of the US revolution is
fine-things that happened in history influenced what society is like today--to
say that we'd still be living with 'taxation without representation', however,
is absurd, and you know it.

Who knows what would have happened?  What I do know is what I see--your system
sucks.  Your 'gods' of constitutionalism and 'Jeffersonianism' have displaced
any 'common good' and 'social justice'.

You sit there and say "Look how great we are!  America!  We're numero uno!  I
woudn't live anywhere else!  Our constitution got us here and will take us into
the future" whilst out of the other side of your mouth you yap about the
insecurity you feel towards your gov't and your fellow citizen.

You're not number 1.  I ain't saying Canada's no. 1 either, but I'd rather live
here, and I don't feel 'insecure' due to my gov't.  I feel more insecure because
of 'collateral damage' that we Canadians may get because of your moron in charge
and the mismanagement of everything from natural resources to your foreign
policy, and your staunch adherence to outdated and outmoded ideas and ideals.
You are stuck in 1776 while some of the rest of us grew older and wiser.  It was
a great step you took, but so far you haven't taken the next one, and as some
political analysts are saying, you're actually retreating--more xenophobic, more
introverted, and more likely to lash out at things that you just don't like or
things that are 'anti-'Merican'.

But that's just how I see it.

Dave K