 Off-Topic / Debate / 21479
Re: More throwbacks to Hitler...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 01:59:22 GMT

And rightly so, I'd say.

We have the spectacle of Ashcroft and his ilk busily disassembling our freedoms,
with a rigged election system in place to ensure that it is very unlikely that
any non Demopublican will get elected in time to stop it, and you want us to
give up the second amendment, what little we have left of it, as being outmoded.

I _am_ assuming you voted last time around Lar?

It is a fault of all democratic systems that there will be those minority (up to
50%-1) that are not happy with their system of representation.  There are a wide
varity of systems of representation, and none of them are perfect.  (for
example, knowing the numbers, in our last provincial election, the ruling party
got ~45% of the votes, and has ~98% of the seats (all but two).  It (IMO)
shouldn`t work that way, but that is the way that people selected for it to
work, and if we can get 50%+1, then it will change.  (at least, that is the
theroy- practice may require more than 50%, since relatively important decisions
should be made by more than just a bare majority rule vote.)

If you can get your 50+1 to make a change, then you will.  If you cannot, then
you must accept the fact that the majority doesn`t want a change.  Regardless of
your persional views, you will have lost (at that point in time), and should
acceed to that fact.  (Something neither of your presidential candidates took
onthemselves...both should have asked for a revote...)

Here's a radical idea... maybe the founding fathers were thinking ahead, not
being reactive, when they wrote that clause. Maybe they were right and you were
wrong?

Perhaps, but your country is yet to use that clause, and IMO, it is a waste
anyway.  Your country (and all western ones) have armies that are ultimately
answerable to the people who they serve.  IMO, it is those armies that are,
ultimately, going to turn on the "Leaders" if the leaders do too many stupid
things.  It may not be a pleasent thought, but it is probably a true one.

Maybe our revolution, paid for with our blood and treasure, paved the way for
a bunch of free rider countries like yours to get away with a bloodless
parting from England.

I don't believe that it directly did.  I think there are more factors at work
than you would like to try to figure as to if your revolution did or did not
infuence the control of colonies.  As far as I can tell (given the fact that the
last part of Canada was a british territory until 1949), it would seem unlikely
that the US revolution played a major role in democracy building over all in NA.
(And you could extend this to 1982 if you wished- with the BNA act...).  Did we
learn from your example?  Most definitely.  Did we benifit from your example?
Probably.  Do we owe you anything for the teaching?  I don't think so.

How much is your semi-freedom worth to you? That much? OK, send us a check since
we paid for it. Or are you OK with free riding after all?

How about you send us one for all the Canadians who died 1939-1941?  Or the ones
who died 1812-1814 when you invaded? (proof that democracies can make war...).
Free ride my postier (I Can't say the word I want to here!)

Or, if you care, you can look and see who was supplying the 4th largest navy in
the gulf during "Operation Iraqi Freedom".  Oh, it was CANADA.  Gee- now isn't
that a suprise.  We weren't paying our weight.  No, not at all.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/march11/coalition/military.html
(and since that is a US government link, I expect it is unbiased enough for you)

James