 Off-Topic / Debate / 21465
Re: For Larry and other Libertarians
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:35:24 GMT

<snip>

So in other words you agree that the posited free rider problem is just a red
herring, then? I don't need to provide this cite for you to debunk it, then, but
I will toss it in anyway:

http://www.spaef.com/PFM_PUB/v1n3/1_3/1_3_5_machan.html

The whole rest of the article is riddled with similar errors, as well as a great
deal of "group X is similar to group Y in the following respects and since group
X believe Z, Y must as well (when in fact it doesn't)" and even more of bashing
stuff like mixed-mode privatization...

ya, it's nice all right. Total waste of time.

But how do you get around the idea that corporations *do* follow the bottom
line.  I mean, it's inherently what they do.

Who said I wantd to get around it? I think it's something to be encouraged.
Maximise your value, when measured against *true cost*. What you ought to be
railing against is how current BigCorps, aided by government collusion,
regulation, and playing field skewing, have been avoiding costs that ought to be
theirs to bear.

And if the environment gets
screwed in the process, that's their problem.

Whose problem? I'm not hearing a question here, exactly.

It's what *has* happened with
business--they systematically ignored other things *for* the bottom line.

You get what you measure for. Explain away ADM's behaviour in a non subsidised
system, if you can.

Is gov't 'intervention'

In what? Let's assume you mean the free market.

a 'necessary evil'?

Evil? Yes. Necessary? No.