 Off-Topic / Debate / 21475
Our troops: an economic target
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:38:43 GMT

Editorial: Nothing but lip service

http://www.armytimes.com/print.php?f=0-ARMYPAPER-1954515.php

In recent months, President Bush and the Republican-controlled Congress have missed no opportunity to heap richly deserved praise on the military. But talk is cheap - and getting cheaper by the day, judging from the nickel-and-dime treatment the troops are getting lately.

Pretty disgusting to declare the war over and then start pulling the benefits almost immediately, esp. seeing as the “occupation” will be ongoing.

I’m not some rabid “support our troops” type -- I don’t want them over there to begin with. But if the govt. can see fit to send our young people to do their dirty work for them, then they can foot the appropriate bill for it too. These people have risked their lives for goals that remain largely unknown or unrealized, but that doesn’t mean that they now deserve shabby treatment from those that sent them to Iraq in the first place!

-- Hop-Frog