 Off-Topic / Debate / 21487
Re: Our troops: an economic target
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 04:35:17 GMT

Completely concur.

Only mostly concur. Better pay? Better amelioration to families if someone dies in the line of duty? You bet. Not a hesitation in the world. If we want the best armed forces in the world, we need to pay what they are worth and then some. Pride in your uniform doesn’t pay for the shoe polish and starch to make it look good, much less put food on the table. And our military (especially reservists) are way way underpaid.

Tax breaks? Mot sure. I’d rather see the system simplified. Every break is an addon to an already complex system. Since we may not actually be able to achieve the simplification needed, maybe. But reluctantly.

Construction budget? Would need specifics but this usually means “pork”. We have too many bases as it is. We seem to be constantly building stuff that isn’t needed while key bases languish with substandard housing. How many bases got closed as a result of the last round of base closings??? Essentially, none. That has to change.