 Off-Topic / Debate / 21447
Cato Institute: Leave Iraq as soon as possible
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:11:44 GMT

Opposing view editorial in today's USA Today (or "Mc Paper" as I prefer to call
it, the WSJ was late getting to the hotel today):

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2003-06-25-oppose_x.htm

More from Cato on this topic:

http://www.cato.org/current/iraq/index.html

I'll reiterate my position:

- This was a war we should not have sought, should not have started. Foreign
adventurism is rarely appropriate, and Iraq was not so vital to our interests
that war was the only solution. I give more credence to the notion of WMD being
in Iraq, and to the notion of a strong al Quada link, than most here do, But
nevertheless, even given the strongest possible read of the allegations, no
justification for this war existed.

- Once we were in it,though, I wanted to see it won and won decisively, because
I don't think it's good to start wars and then deliberately or inadvertantly
lose them. That's just the way I am. I was pleased with the way the war proper
was conducted, I think it was run brilliantly, and I pooh-pooh the accusations
about civilan casualties and so forth, this was the cleanest war ever in my
view. I didn't want to be in it but am pleased with how it went.

- However, now that we won the shooting part, but seem to be badly losing the
"peace", (which seems to have a lot of shooting in it, ne?) something must be
done. What we're doing now ain't working. It seems to embody the worst features
of bureaucracy, State Department moral relativism/rule by committee and a host
of other sins of big government, without delivering much (if any) free market /
free minds goodness.