 Off-Topic / Debate / 21529
Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:01:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

Uh... The only thing the government can to do "help" the economy is to cut
taxes. Everything else only makes it worse or at best has no impact.

Here's a good counterpoint from

Richard Du Boff, professor emeritus of economics at Bryn Mawr College: "This
claim is historically inaccurate. Tax rates at the federal level have been
reduced steadily since the 1960s, except for a very modest increase in 1990
and 1993, and so has the rate of growth of the economy. The big cuts in
federal taxes took place in the 1980s -- and those tax cuts were the biggest
since the Second World War, much bigger than the Kennedy tax cuts of 1962-
1964. In terms of real (price-corrected) gross domestic product (GDP), the
country's economy grew considerably faster in the 1950s and 1960s than during
the last three decades (70s, 80s, 90s). From 1950 to 1970 -- the era of
highest federal tax rates -- real GDP grew at 3.8 percent per year. From 1970
to 2000, the rate was 3.2 percent, significantly lower. If we look at GDP per
head of population, probably a better measure of the economy's growth, we
have basically the same story but with smaller differences. Greatest growth
of all took place during the 1960s (real GDP per head grew at nearly 2.9
percent per year); in the 1980s, with Reagan's big tax cuts, GDP per capita
grew only 2.2 percent per annum, same as it did during the 1990s. The moral
of the tale is that cutting federal taxes does NOT make the economy grow
faster; history shows that, if anything, the economy may grow more slowly in
the face of big federal tax cuts. Of course this does not take into account
state and local taxes, which have probably risen over time -- along with
rising needs for education, law enforcement -- and cutbacks in federal grants-
in-aid and other federal transfers to states."

This quote was taken from http://www.accuracy.org/2003/