 Off-Topic / Debate / 21558
Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:26:42 GMT

Another bit...

MEMO TO COLIN POWELL

http://www.tnr.com/etc.mhtml

MEMO TO COLIN POWELL: You’d think that as distinguished an old soldier as Colin Powell would know that when you find yourself in a hole, you stop digging. But that’s the opposite of what the secretary of state was doing in Botswana yesterday. Defending President Bush from charges that he misled the public by asserting in his January State of the Union address that Iraq was trying to procure uranium from Niger--a claim based on poor intelligence, including forged documents, that some members of the administration knew to be faulty as early as February 2002--Powell told reporters, “There was sufficient evidence floating around at that time that such a statement was not totally outrageous.”

Isn’t that about the weakest thing you have ever heard? That’s practically an admission that the White House will spin in a manner consistent -- not with the truth -- but with whatever they think they can get away with!

I think Ross has already addressed this point, but I still find it interesting. When does “gilding the lilly” become flat out lying?

-- Hop-Frog