 Off-Topic / Debate / 21575
Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:13:16 GMT

  A great point!  Of course, the main reason that state and local tax rates
are rising is because Dubya's administration has cut Federal aid to states.
That way, Dubya can claim to have lowered taxes, even though we're all (well,
except for corporations and the super-rich) are paying much more at the local
and state levels.  Additionally, Dubya will probably claim that his economic
stimulus package *would* have worked if only the states hadn't raised their
own taxes!

Well that's the first thing I have heard on the subject that makes any sense at
all.

  I don't have any documentation of this, but I'd be curious to learn whether
Republican-held or -majority states are receiving some sort of hidden
compensation, while Democratic-held states are being forced to tax themselves >to death...

Personally I think the real reason the Democrats are always against tax cuts is
so they can spend the money on their social engineering agenda rather than
letting the people use their own money. So long as people get there legally
(read: by hard work) why should they be penalized for making more money than
someone who is lazy? As I stated earlier, the Democrats definition of "rich"
(which is the top 20 percent of the income bracket) covers 98 percent of
Americans for at least one third of their lives.

-Mike Petrucelli