 Off-Topic / Debate / 21573
Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:53:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

I haven't heard anyone using the ten-year-trail other than economics teachers
period. In that context it makes sense, outside that context is anyones guess.

  But that's my point!  Dubya (or at least his supporters) blame Clinton for
current economic woes because, alledgly, the impact of Clinton's policies is
only now being seen (due to the 10-year-swing).

I haven't acctually heard anyone saying that.

  Really?  Pretty much every discussion about the economy that I hear gives
Reagan all the credit for the mid/late 90's boom, while all the blame for the
Dubya-era recession goes to Clinton.  I would go so far as to say that, among
conservative pundits, I've never heard otherwise.

"The buck stops somewhere else." -- George W. Bush

Of course the original point was the only way for the Government to help the
economy is to cut taxes. Anything else is simply robbing Peter to pay Paul.

  I don't accept that caricature of taxation, however.  And in many cases, Paul
has been robbing Peter for decades, so I don't mind if Paul has to be forced to
give some of it back.

Even the previous "study" you
cited stated that they did not take into account state and local tax rates,
which really invalidates any conclusions they could make.

  A great point!  Of course, the main reason that state and local tax rates are
rising is because Dubya's administration has cut Federal aid to states.  That
way, Dubya can claim to have lowered taxes, even though we're all (well, except
for corporations and the super-rich) are paying much more at the local and state
levels.  Additionally, Dubya will probably claim that his economic stimulus
package *would* have worked if only the states hadn't raised their own taxes!
  I don't have any documentation of this, but I'd be curious to learn whether
Republican-held or -majority states are receiving some sort of hidden
compensation, while Democratic-held states are being forced to tax themselves to
death...

    Dave!