 Off-Topic / Debate / 21599
Re: How many things need to stack up before we throw this jerk out?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:55:46 GMT

  Let's pose a hypothetical example as a counterpoint (admittedly anecdotal, but
no Conservative argument has ever turned away a good anecdote) to the second
part of your citation above.  I'm going to fabricate dollar figures to make my
point, so they're not my real situation, but the point is made nonetheless:
  My hypothetical monthly net income is just a shade over $1600. My wife is
currently unemployed (because of corporate downsizing), so I'm supporting both
of us.

How badly do you want out of your situation? McDonalds is hiring. Seriously.
Your wife could presumably (if college educated or reasonably hard working,
(and she must have been smart to select such as yourself Dave!)) become a
manager in no time.

Except in really terrible situations, that would be a net positive to you even
after increases in expenses for transport, additional taxes, etc. Especially if
you're childless. Act now to escape before you have kids...

Our monthly student loan payments are $600, our car payment is $190, car
insurance is $85, and rent (a typical rate for a tiny Pittsburgh apartment) is
$450.  For those expenses alone, we're shelling out $1325 each month, leaving a
whopping $275 to cover food, utilities, and emergency costs(not to mention my
clone addiction).

  So here's my problem with the Spectator article.  How the heck am
(hypothetical) I supposed to save $1000 a month when my optimum net income (due
to currently-unavoidable monthly expenses) is a little more than $200?

What makes it *optimum*? You have an additional source of income available to
you. The person used in the example earlier does not so she's arguably a LOT
worse off than you are.

Before you turn your nose up at McDonalds, let me point out that my father came
to the US with an advanced degree after the war, but nevertheless started over
at the bottom, moving steel on a shop floor, while he got a degree from an
american University so he could start climbing again. (this is a lesson that is
lost on my wife, to my chagrin).

Things are tougher now than they were then. But a lot of that is due precisely
to large government (and the oligopoly/welfarequeenism it seems to foster), the
very thing we're debating, ne?