 Off-Topic / Debate / *1331 (-100)
  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

Wow, Mike Stanley and I agree on something! That is amazing! (J/K Mike. You made some great points!) I happen to work two jobs to pay off my student loans. Scott Sanburn (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Lost a high-paying job and had to take a much lower paying job, yes. Shit happens. I made the best of the situation and moved on. Everyone else can too. (...) Saying "he lost his job and the only jobs available were minimum wage jobs so he (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I hear ya brother Larry. (...) No. Never. But, they should have a RIGHT to earn goods. (...) Others have hashed this one out pretty well, but basically, f@*k him. 35 years is a long time to not sock something away for the future. One of my (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) It should also be said that charity doesn't automatically mean "free" goods. Habitat for Humanity is very definitely a charity, but they don't give away houses. They ask their benneficiaries to help build the house and in general to show (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I think the problem here is that you are looking at the libertarian perspective piecemeal. As I understand it from what Larry has said is that since everything is connected, a truly (or at least much more than the one we have now) free market (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) He didn't say a right; he said they would _probably_ receive charity. (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Um....He does. By your own admission previously, you do allow him to extort money out of you for his pet projects. ('He' refers to Ed, the government, and communists in general.) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) If he gets hit by a truck (this is what the original post was about), he'd be refused medical attention because he has no benefits and can't afford it on his own. Through no fault of his own, society and the government have just condemned him (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) the (...) 90's. "Armenian's in Turkey" ?... In 90's?...I really couldn't understand what are you talking about. Selçuk (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) This smacks of this new age crap I hear about how morals are relative and everyone is entitled to their own morals, no matter how warped, and nobody else should condemn them. That's bullshit. Lemme give you an example of how you determine what (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <37796883.7A114758@v...er.net>... (...) And of course I replied in kind... Here's my reply: (...) Thanks for the response. I suppose I am close to being a closet Libertarian. I think most of my discomfort has been (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) This point is valid. There is no perfect society and Libertarianism does not claim to be able to achieve one. It merely claims to be able to make things better. (...) Answer this question yourself, please. I know why it failed. I suspect you (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) OK, OK, I give in. I'll feel compassion for those people in the US that for reasons beyond their control can't afford to take care of themselves. All 2 of them. That was a flippant remark, but it makes a point. If you want my help, you have to (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) No. (...) Yes and no. (...) No. There is no right to charity. A charity may feel a moral obligation to help, but that moral obligation is something between them and their benefactors. A charity will set conditions under which it provides goods (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Ignoring the minimum wage issue, who cares if the only jobs available are minimum wage? I've worked for varying amounts in my life. If you work for 35 years making $30k per year (sorry, that should probably be $40-50k/year if we're talking a (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) No, I think he's saying that, in a perfect libertopia, other people who help these people of their own free will. That does not imply that ABC have rights to those goods. (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) His savings are gone so soon? What did A do for 35 years? I have only been actively saving for a short while now and I could last a few months without my job, minimum. Inside of a year I'll be able to last a lot longer. Why would A have so (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

Your little moral problems are a sucker's trap, because you haven't stated enough assumptions and preconditions, so whatever I say will be twisted around. But hey, look up sucker in the dictionary... see that picture? that's me. (...) Why? No one (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Oh, come on!! You CANNOT have a "perfect" society with more than a small number of people!! It is imposible! No matter what, there will be some that take advantage of it. Why do you think Communism failed? Any type of society that relies on (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) So you are saying that these people have the right to the care that they need. Isn't charity the giving of free goods? Are you saying that these people have a right to free goods? (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I think that in a perfect liberatopia, all three of these people would have no problem getting the care they need, through charity. Person A may still be helped by some kind of unemployment coverage. Person B's family should also invest in a (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) OK, you state "people do not have a RIGHT to free goods." I am simplying stating that some people, through no fault of their own, do not have the ability to pay for those goods but, in the name of humanity, should "have a RIGHT to free goods". (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Admirable quality, I wish more humans felt this way. People *should* feel this way, as it is good for all. (...) Why? Because he feels the government should try to take care of the people it was created to protect and serve? I think you, (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

Man, Larry, I go away for a few days, and this explodes on my e-mail. :) Oh, and I agree with Larry 100%, even if I am a Republican (Some moral differences with the Libertarians, but nothing us "right-wingers" can't work out!). By the way, not all (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I have a huge problem with the characterisation of my cogent and lucid statements (:-))as inane, or gibberish. Perhaps to someone who'd rather not honor property rights and doesn't understand why property rights matter, they're gibberish. But (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

"Christopher L. Weeks" wrote: <snip> (...) OK, the first person who knows this song wins the debate: "...i've been called a communist because i'm left-handed/that's the hand to use.../well, nevermind." other lines (if you need a hint): "i've been (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

Ugh, I go on a 5 day vacation, and I get back to this! Oh well! :) (...) It doesn't matter if "that argument is dead in the water" (I don't think it is), the founding fathers put the second amendment in just in case the government gets out of (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Have you read Larry's response to my question about the ideals of Libertarianism? Your last comment is a gross mischaracterization of Larry's position. If you read one of his other responses, you will even see that he does in fact support (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Which basic issue is he circumventing? I thought the basic issue was determining who should pay for Random Joe's medical care. Larry thinks Random Joe should and Thomas thinks that Larry should. (...) Hippocrates developed the oath, but I (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I have a huge problem with this inane argument. Larry is avoiding the basic issue and circumventing it with property gibberish. It is simply this - all Doctors take a Hypocratic oath - that they will provide medical service irregardless of the (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

"Christopher L. Weeks" wrote: <snip> (...) Yep, I was on that list. And, I once won a contest (I think it's the only contest I've ever won) in which I received an uncut sheet of the Chicago set for SC:TCG. I still have it. (...) -- Thomas Main (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Right. Bread and Circuses are not put on to benefit the participants, but rather to retain power. (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I don't have time to get into this fully, but I agree more with Larry than Thomas, I'm afraid. What I do have time to do, though, is assert that "the government" most certainly does NOT spend the money it gets for the welfare of the people. (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

Whoops... first time round was just mailed to Frank, meant to post this instead, so here it is. (...) Right. that's because I'm Libertarian Macho Flashing(tm). I do it all the time. I'm not this over the top out in public, trust me. For a somewhat (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) It worked. (...) Feel free to act on that belief. There are many worthy charities out there. You mentioned one of my favorites, Habitat for Humanity. We've been supporting them for an awfully long time. (...) That's where you go too far. (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

Larry, I would like to understand the Libertarian principle better, but am finding it hard to understand from your responses in the various debates that have occured. What is the Libertarian view laws and law enforcement? We can all certainly agree (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) <snip> (...) <snip> (...) I stated this more or less to get your blood boiling. I believe people in need ought to be helped. I believe there are many people in need of health insurance in this country and that they ought to be helped by our (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Please please please, don't anyone remove that key syllable, thank you. The new Victoria's Secret catalog just came, you'll have to excuse me while I go study it closely. (1) (...) I certainly understand the first quoted statement you make in (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) But we specifically ARE talking about free goods. Try to keep up. The assertion being made is that people are *entitled* to a certain level of medical care whether or not they can afford it. Now, if they can't afford it, what else would that (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I was hoping not to engage Larry in this debate because I believe my viewpoints are valid even though I might not be able to defend them as aptly as Larry can defend his. I am not a good debater and Larry, as I think we all know, is a (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Around here, if you're willing to drive into the sticks less than an hour, I can still find doctors and dentists who accept chickens (or whatever) in payment from their customers who don't deal with much cash. There are lots of doctors who (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Is that fortune or decision? (...) There are more than 50,000 IT jobs open right now, people could get skills and then get jobs that do provide those bennies. If people in your area started doing that, then either the tourism industry would (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) That's ridiculous. First, if I do stop using these government "services" (as if that were possible) would I then be free of a tax obligation? For the answer, ask home-owners who send their kids to private schools (like me) because public (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I don't remember seeing anything about "free". And the government *is* here to serve the people. What do you call road building/maintenance? A "right"? Everything the government does is funded by the Taxpayers, hence our obligation to pay (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

The following responses are rather Libertarian macho flash because they were composed hurridly. That's OK, since the original poster was bemoaning no spirited debate. If the following statements don't provoke a great deal debate, I've misread the (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Something is going to have to happen for health care. I'm not sure it isn't too long before we start having experiences like Mike's even with a health plan. It seems that health care is getting more and more inaccessible as there becomes more (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

Mike Stanley wrote: <snip> (...) <snipped horror story about Mike's VA hospital experience) You certainly get my sympathy for your terrible experience in the VA hospital. I have heard similar stories about retirement homes and mental health (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Have you ever had the pleasure of enjoying government-run healthcare? I sure hope not. I have. My disability entitles me to care at VA facilities around the country and a few years ago, after my college fund ran out and Rachael and I were (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Well, I am also fortunate in that regard because I work for the State of North Carolina. Now, I live in a small town in the Appalachian mountains of NC that just happens to have a university in it which isthe area's largest employer. However, (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Gosh, I've found that insurance is quite affordable. What's the scoop? Oh, maybe it's because I've chosen an employer with a good package of bennies. (...) I thought government was here to perpetuate itself at the expense of the rest of us. (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Speaking as someone who has had to chip in and help with funeral expenses for someone who was too irresponsible to take care of them for himself while alive, I can attest to that. (25 years ago, 28-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Unfortunately, many people are not in a position to pay the outrageous premiums insurance companies require. And even if people do want to pay, insurance companies get to pick and choose who they'll insure (often denying insurance to those who (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) Agreed. Being Polish, what kind of chaps me a bit is that my countrymen, or at least some of them, at first eagerly participated in the genocide, taking over businesses and the like, then got the gas jets turned on them... (25 years ago, 28-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Healthcare is a good/service. As such, it costs money. There is no entitlement to goods or services. Rights speak to behaviours, not to free goods. So, yes, if you happen to have planned things poorly enough that you show up on the hospital's (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Perl rules!

(...) It's no toy. (...) It's not a good language to teach Computer Science with. BTW, there is arguably never any "right" way. Just different ways to do things that either work correctly or don't work correctly -- or perform correctly but (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Dude, you need a sarcasm detector. Actually, since I don't see the people rising up against the government anytime soon, that argument is dead in the water.. Also, overthrowing the government by force is illegal anyway. You can always get guns (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: stunningly geedy people

(...) Burglary: Steal from another, usually unwilling and unwitting, person. Whoring: One person, completely voluntarily, selling something to another person. Spot the difference. Jasper "Hey, we're in .debate, no fun here" Janssen (25 years ago, 27-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Perl rules!

(...) The problem with perl, I am told, is that it's also incredibly easy to do things exactly the wrong way. In fact, it's vastly easier than to do it the right way. Just like in any other language, of course, but in perl, "there is always more (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: What happened?

(...) So say the pun pundits. And those with a punerial disease. -Tom McD. when replying, don't use spamcake for a pun cushion. (25 years ago, 26-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.pun)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) By not giving examples of how previous centuries where "more humane", you are ignoring, to a certain extent, past events. Also, I may've exagerated slightly on the corpse lobbing thing. I'm not sure if spreading disease was a purpose or a (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:03:27 GMT, Jeff Stembel uttered the following profundities... (...) Never said they weren't. Never mentioned, though did not ignore events in the past. Didn't know about corpse-lobbing, though. Did know about the use of lime, (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 23:32:58 GMT, John DiRienzo uttered the following profundities... (...) Poor or not, it is actually a common argument, certainly amongst pacifists. (Me, I am a proponent of the MIC). Sure, the Japanese would have bombed US (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) I've lived in South carolina for three years now, after spending 20 in the north. I never hear the racist crap that permeates the northern culture. I used to hear people use the n word all the time and I've never once heard it here. Maybe the (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) I never called this dry heat (In fact, the summers here are quite humid). I was saying I'd rather *have* dry heat. :) And yes, I know Pheonix has dry heat. I visit my grandparents living there every once in a while. :) Jeff (25 years ago, 25-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) Silver Spring, Maryland. Just outside Washington DC (Suprisingly, even though it is not an incorperated town, it is in the latest edition of Goode's World Atlas!) Jeff (25 years ago, 24-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

You said it, Jeff. Scott (...) (25 years ago, 24-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) Where abouts do you reside, Jeff? Cheers, - jsproat (25 years ago, 24-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) <rant> Civilians have *always* been killed in war. Just because we have more powerful weapons doesn't mean we are "less humane". Ever heard of some small events from before the twentieth century including: The Inquisition, the Crusades, and (...) (25 years ago, 24-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) Ack!! You mean you *like* humidity?? That's disgusting! I'd take dry heat over humid heat anyday! Of course I'd much rather sit inside with the AC on. ;) Jeff P.S. I'm very happy that it has been nice the last couple days. Unfortunately, the (...) (25 years ago, 24-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Richard Dee wrote in message ... (...) following (...) Well, the US has had the good fortune of not having many wars at home lately. It makes it difficult for the opponents to bomb our civilian targets. However, had they the good chance to do so, I (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:45:11 GMT, Mike Stanley uttered the following profundities... (...) We have had a similar situation in the UK recently. There were a few refugees from Montserrat during the spate of eruptions that came to the UK. They were a (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 03:52:06 GMT, Christopher L. Weeks uttered the following profundities... (...) The only positive thing was the quick and rapid end to the war. I still think that it could have been brought to just as rapid a close had the (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) That actually sounds nice! Kwajalein was about 80 degrees F and about 80% humidity during the day, year round. Oh, it was heaven compared to Utah -- today is around 90 F and very dry. Yuck. X-P Cheers, - jsproat (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

Don't come to Michigan! Right now its 90 with around 95% humidity! Scott Sanburn (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) I've enjoyed this conversation. I'm in Missouri, where real sutheners think of us as Yankees, and Yankees think of us as hillbilly Southerners. You know, I just don't like most people whether they live in Maine or Alabama. What I really hate (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) Yup. Sure hope I'm not sounding like I defend racism of any kind, but something in me would rather be able to point out the danger zones easily than to bump up against them without some kind of warning. (...) Heh, dunno. I've met a handful of (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Getting a job - advice from the experts (was: Re: What happened?)

Christopher L. Weeks <c576653@cclabs.missouri.edu> wrote: I'll have to respond to more of this later, especially the situation-specific stuff. Maybe privately since I would assume it might bore others. (...) No, dial-up service is not free, although (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) But somehow, it seems more organized in the South. Take for instance: the KKK, the John Bircher Society, the state of Alabama, etc. (...) :-D How about an openly biased Yankee? I don't know if I can call myself a Yankee, though. I've lived (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

(...) For the record none of the ~350 images I've cleaned have been uploaded yet. Anyways, what I do is take a scan of a chart and remove extranious pixels and lines from them. It is by far one of the most boring jobs in the world, but the pay is (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

Oops ... forgot to mention that the new place is about 3 blocks away from my current place. AND, he didn't know my current salary. (...) -- Lee Jorgensen, Programmer/Analyst - Bankoe Systems, Inc. mailto:jorgensen@bankoe.moc <-- reverse moc (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: What happened?

(...) I got a job proposal (which I'm starting on Monday), and that had a 50% jump. But I agree that a 100% jump is pretty steep. There are several reasons that I feel that I got: 1) Current programmers are focused on other things, and need somebody (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Getting a job - advice from the experts (was: Re: What happened?)

(...) We have roughly 30K students and 10K faculty and staff since we're the home of the state university system. We run the public computing sites 800+ workstations in 15 locations. Mostly we help with the equipment in the room, but we also do (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

I think there is a K-mart somewhere in there, but most of the stores are in the commercial districts, on the West and East of downtown. Scott Sanburn (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) I'm not surprised. My wife Rachael lived in CT for 10 years after living in TN for a few years. She's told me loads of stories about basically ignorant northerners who seem to have this vision of the South as being something out of Andy (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Getting a job - advice from the experts (was: Re: What happened?)

(...) You have 150 employees working helpdesk? My God, how many students do you have? What kind of services do you provide to your students via the helpdesk? Might be scary to admit, but at a school of more than 25k students, we have 5 full-time (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) I'm not convinced. I think we basically had to really drive home that we don't view the world the way they did, and that we were willing to do anything possible to destroy them. I think we managed that with as little loss of value as possible. (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Getting a job - advice from the experts (was: Re: What happened?)

(...) I would say that it's the norm for a midwestern public university in a town where the ACCRA cost of living index is .9 or so. People move from here to industry in St. Louis or Kansas City and typically pick up a %50+ raise. Moving to the west (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) Pearl Harbor wasn't destroyed. Messed up, yes. But vital strategic assets were untouched--the oil tank farms most prominently. Had those been knocked out, it would have taken the USN *years* to rebuild those fuel oil stocks. The sub pens, (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Those are marvelous! I'm off to London on Tuesday to do work in the British Library Map Library and the War Office...er, DoD. So I do historical charts too, in a sense...I just look at charts of colonial holdings and dissect them in a dry, (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What happened?

(...) That's not a pun! l.o-t.d is "anth"athema to punnery, anyhow. LFB. (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: stunningly geedy people

(...) Well, if you're a graduate student, you can show a jury your car and get the sympathy vote. The other guy being in an Explorer won't go over well in comparison; having no proof of real damage and no contact will sink him if jury sympathy (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Stunningly ignorant people

(...) I've got news for you: I'm an academic, and we have so many of the Pavlovian non-net.savvy it would make you *freak out*. They'll open anything, even though they don't even use the restrooms in the Department office because they're afraid! (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Stunningly ignorant people

(...) In New Jersey, we'd usually call 'em "Flat." Red means stop, green means honk. LFB (25 years ago, 23-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: What happened?

(...) Don't answer specifically until and unless you are about to get a job offer from a specific firm. Do your research about what you are worth, then answer the "what do you make" question from a headhunter with "well below market, which is 90K (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) You know, I read this and thought "that's not a huge can o' worms...that's nothing...you know, he's right." But then I read the responses. I guess it really is at least a little can of worms. (...) Stronger social lobby? (...) OK, so one (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:43:26 GMT, Scott Edward Sanburn uttered the following profundities... (...) Pearl Harbour was a military target. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were civilian cities. There were sufficient industrial and military targets available that (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 05:12:07 GMT, Sproaticus uttered the following profundities... (...) And let us not forget Pol Pot, who killed 16 1/2% of his population, all of whom were Cambodian. He left the montagnards, the ethnic minority, alone. Let us not (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)

(...) Any stores selling LEGO in that area? Steve (25 years ago, 22-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Repost: 30360 Cylider 3 x 6 x 2 2/3 Horizontal w/ cutout (SW Engine)

(...) And what you want is of utmost importance, of course. Steve (25 years ago, 22-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact