 Off-Topic / Debate / 1240
Re: stunningly geedy people
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 01:31:38 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Patricia Schempp wrote:

Lee Jorgensen wrote:
-probably just needs $$$ and thinks that he can get it out of you ...

When will people realize that trying to get money out of graduate students is
silly?

Of course if he's lucky, he'll get money out of your insurance company.
If he's real lucky, he could win a judgement which would force you to
liquidate your Lego and garnish future wages. And if certain people have
their way, you would no longer be able to declare bankruptcy to get out
of the mess.

   Well, if you're a graduate student, you can show a jury your car and get the
sympathy vote.  The other guy being in an Explorer won't go over well in
comparison; having no proof of real damage and no contact will sink him if jury
sympathy doesn't.  My advice:  Only run into foreigners.  I rear-ended a Pakistani
fellow in a big ol' LTD in '94 and ended up doing $2K damage to my car--just
scratched his up.  He felt so sorry for me and was tremendously nice.  Had it been
a "local," I fear they would have been looking for the angle.  And yes, I'm a grad
student too.  :(

   LFB

   (PS:  If you know Don McKale, professor of German and Near Eastern history at
Clemson, say "hello" for me.  ;) )