 Off-Topic / Debate / 1246
Re: Getting a job - advice from the experts (was: Re: What happened?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:38:23 GMT

Christopher L. Weeks <c576653@cclabs.missouri.edu> wrote:
I have a hard time answering that.  I work on the management team
operating a 150 employee (mostly face to face) help desk and system of
student computing facilities.  I'm an advanced user with a whole slew of

You have 150 employees working helpdesk?  My God, how many students do
you have?

What kind of services do you provide to your students via the
helpdesk?

Might be scary to admit, but at a school of more than 25k students, we
have 5 full-time people and about as many students in the office I
"manage" handling dial-up and lan networking for students and dial-up
networking for staff/faculty (about 3,000 students in the dorms and
about 6,000 dial-up accounts).

We also provide a smattering of other general helpdesk-type support
(limited application support, etc, no real computer hardware support).
Another computing dept in our division mans a helpdesk that mainly
does support for the campus unix system itself with 1.5 full-time
employees and a few student workers.

Now if you wanted to talk about the other people in our depts I'm sure
you could find 150... well, maybe you could, but that would include
everything from the people who run the cables and install switches to
those who manage our pipes to the net itself, and everyone in between.

MS Project I don't know the jargon) as a matter of course, and I am
especially good at interfacing the three groups of people that I work
with: techie geeks in the back room, non-technical clients asking
questions, and management doing whatever.  I can do delivery and
creation of technical training, but I haven't been a full-time trainer
in a few years.

Wow, that's basically what I do, with a good deal of hands-on server
maintenance thrown in for good measure and overtime.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide