 Off-Topic / Debate / 1285
Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:26:05 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

<snip>

Have you ever had the pleasure of enjoying government-run healthcare?
I sure hope not.

<snipped horror story about Mike's VA hospital experience)

You certainly get my sympathy for your terrible experience in the VA
hospital.  I have heard similar stories about retirement homes and
mental health hospitals.  Unfortunately, it is easy to victimize the
weak and infirm.  Did you write a letter of complaint to the board that
administers this hospital?  How about a letter to the editor.  I think
these sorts of things improve situations like this (although not always
and sometimes changes are slow in coming).

My only experience with government-run healthcare is in going to my
county's health department.  What I have found there is:

* long lines and waiting
* small building that is inadequate for the needs of the county
* excellent healthcare and real concern from the doctor and/or
registered nurse

It's not perfect, but is is cheap.  It provides a service that is
otherwise unavailable to most of those that visit this clinic and it is
necessary.  The doctor is only there one day a week (which is
unfortunate), but the nurses provide most of the routine care that is
required.  Now, this partly tax supported, government run institution
could be eliminated and disease would spread, people would die and
nobody would win.  My point is really that there *is* a place for gov.
run healthcare.

I resolved that night to work as many jobs as it took to make sure
that I and especially Rachael never had to depend on "handout"
healthcare.  The sad thing is the care these men were receiving and
while I will never seek again shouldn't even be considered a handout -
these were old battered men who had given everything to their country,
not bums off the street.

And veterans should be honored.  Many citizens give a lot to their
government (money, service, their lives).  Unfortunately, many people
find themselves without health insurance or adequate coverage.  Working
two part-time jobs, neither of which provides a health plan, won't
help.  Trying to buy insurance privately is expensive (much more so than
a group plan at work) and insurance companies can turn you down for
coverage without explanation or drop your coverage at any time.  These
are areas that must be reformed.  A government-sponsored group plan
would help - guaranteed coverage along with low payments.

Sorry, that just hit a nerve, don't know why.  Not railing at you,
probably just wishing I could do a better job of forgetting that.

Well, let's hope that none of us have to go through terrible experiences
while trying to get health care.  It is a time when we are very
vunerable anyway.

--
The pieces you want and nothing else - easy online bidding!
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu