 Off-Topic / Debate / 1286
Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:10:23 GMT

Thomas Main wrote:
And veterans should be honored.  Many citizens give a lot to their
government (money, service, their lives).  Unfortunately, many people
find themselves without health insurance or adequate coverage.  Working
two part-time jobs, neither of which provides a health plan, won't
help.  Trying to buy insurance privately is expensive (much more so than
a group plan at work) and insurance companies can turn you down for
coverage without explanation or drop your coverage at any time.  These
are areas that must be reformed.  A government-sponsored group plan
would help - guaranteed coverage along with low payments.

Something is going to have to happen for health care. I'm not sure it
isn't too long before we start having experiences like Mike's even with
a health plan. It seems that health care is getting more and more
inaccessible as there becomes more and more concern about proffit. One
advantage that a government run health plan can have is it doesn't have
to be governed by profit. What is unfortuanate is that there isn't much
more accountability to the customers, but that could be changed by
culture.

We are hearing more and more horror stories about people denied care for
ridiculous reasons. In fact, my mother was a recent victim. She has
recently retired and is now spending winters in Florida, which requires
she change health plans every 6 months. A couple months ago, she wound
up in the hospital, and discovered that her health plan had enrolled her
for Orlando when she lives in St. Petersburg. She still doesn't know if
she will have to pay the 26,000 dollar bill. She was also almost denied
care. She actually was sent home, and then got worse and came back in.
The 2nd time they finally decided to admit her. When she arrived in the
room, the nurse took one look and sent her back down to the ER. Finally
a cardiologist arrived and made a correct diagnosis. She is fortuanate
that she got an excellent doctor (who after coming up with a theory on
what was wrong, ran the tests himself!).

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com