 Off-Topic / Debate / 1280
Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 19:31:11 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Carbon 60 wrote:

But remember they have to pay for everything with user-end fees, oh dear
I'm in hospital dying, got $10k?  No I haven't, oh well I'll let you
choose your coffin - how about this nice blue one?

Healthcare is a good/service. As such, it costs money. There is no
entitlement to goods or services. Rights speak to behaviours, not to
free goods. So, yes, if you happen to have planned things poorly enough
that you show up on the hospital's doorstep with no insurance, no money,
and no charity lined up, think of it as evolution in action.

Unfortunately, many people are not in a position to pay the outrageous
premiums insurance companies require.  And even if people do want to
pay, insurance companies get to pick and choose who they'll insure
(often denying insurance to those who need it most).  Insurance
companies and hospitals are profit-motivated businesses.  They are not
here to serve the people.  Government, on the other hand, is here to
serve the people.  The government has a responsibility to provide access
to health care and insurance when insurance companies and hospitals
won't.  This does not mean that private insurance and medical treatment
will disappear, or even that it will diminish.  Normally, you get what
you pay for - and that will keep private doctors and hospitals and
insurance companies swimming in money.  But for those that need a
minimum level of support - they should be able to look to their
government for subsidizing their health care needs.  The government
supports libraries, museums, and artists for the intellectual health of
its citizenry.  It should support basic universal health care for its
citizens also. After all, the people give their tax dollars, patriotism
- some even give their lives - for the government.

And the coffin won't be free either.

Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu
Webpage: http://members.xoom.com/brickenplate/index.html