 Off-Topic / Debate / 1282
Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 22:27:07 GMT

Thomas Main wrote:

Unfortunately, many people are not in a position to pay the outrageous
premiums insurance companies require.  And even if people do want to

Gosh, I've found that insurance is quite affordable.  What's the scoop?
Oh, maybe it's because I've chosen an employer with a good package of bennies.

here to serve the people.  Government, on the other hand, is here to
serve the people.  The government has a responsibility to provide access

I thought government was here to perpetuate itself at the expense of the
rest of us.

to health care and insurance when insurance companies and hospitals

We disagree.

won't.  This does not mean that private insurance and medical treatment
will disappear, or even that it will diminish.  Normally, you get what
you pay for - and that will keep private doctors and hospitals and
insurance companies swimming in money.  But for those that need a
minimum level of support - they should be able to look to their
government for subsidizing their health care needs.  The government

In all cases?  It just burns me up that lung cancer is covered by
medicaid.  Why should I have to pay for a bunch of other peoples' bad decisions?

supports libraries, museums, and artists for the intellectual health of
its citizenry.  It should support basic universal health care for its
citizens also. After all, the people give their tax dollars, patriotism
- some even give their lives - for the government.

My tax dollars are taken by force.  I don't give them anything.  When
it's giving there is choice implicit.  Since they'll come to your house
and kill you, it's more akin to extortion.

my $.02.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks