 Off-Topic / Debate / *11631 (-100)
  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) Including me I think. (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) By referencing the dietary constraint issue, are you talking about my ethical stance on vegetarianism? You are claiming that there is a difference between protecting lives and dietary restriction, but my dietary restriction does protect lives. (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) For one thing, after the filming of Xena's beheading, Lucy Lawless appeared on Leno. In real life people do not typically hit the talk show circuit after they're decapitated (though admittedly it's sometimes hard to tell the difference). As (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Hmm.. It strikes me as a contradiction to call for reality as a stylized representation of reality, but I'm nitpicking (and, anyway, I know what you're saying). But overall I think people want realism in their fiction, moreso than (but not to (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) Not by my watch. If you were unclear on the issue you probably should've asked Larry what he meant by amoral. Otherwise, you must explain what definition you though Larry was using, explain why it's not what you're saying, AND explain the (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) I think the key phrase is "public indecency and lewdness." Sex, violence, indecency etc. don't always happen in public. (...) The reason that I chose that particular incident, is because there was a double shooting at a local mall the day (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Didn't you jump my case for calling you a prude several months ago? I think pornography is a good tool for parents to demonstrate sex when they're too shy to do so in person. It sounds like Scott objects to the commission of certain acts or (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) I don't mean to come down on the side of censorship here, but if you haven't noticed, we do have laws against public indecency and lewdness and laws against violence too. So your analogy, it seems to me, works against your stance. (...) But we (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What has happened to .space?

(...) Last time I had to post 3 timesabout my new MOCs before 2 people replied. They were too busy arguing about wings in space... ZaC Soden ---...--- www.ozbricks.com/battlespace (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What is spam? (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment

I know this was a troll, but I thought I'd bite. (...) Certainly we tell ourselves that the children involved are deeply damaged by the experience. I'm not so sure that it's just our squicky puritanical knee-jerk doing that rationalizing sometimes. (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Around we go again...

(...) I had typed out a whole paragraph arguing exactly that point, but thought it was vague enough that I let it be. Besides, I didn't want to prove your statement about me above to be true. :-) (...) -Duane (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Alright, I'll put this topic to bed (Oooo, that pun's just bad) (...) I'm just wondering what the difference is in your mind. (...) OK, I'll give you that. (...) Then why is there such a hunger for the media to lay their hands on (to use the (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) Which response, to which Dave? Precision is good. Do you agree with my summation below? If not, could you give what *you* think Chris meant, and what *you* think Larry meant? From looking through, it is very obvious that everyone who has (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: (Re: What has happened to .space?) and others

(...) This is an interesting point and I think I can shed a little more light on it. Jennifer's truck broke new ground on two (or more) front's. I think as well as her being female there we're more factor's that contributed to the large number of (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What has happened to .space?

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jesse Alan Long writes: <snip my own stuff> (...) Who is Judy? Jude (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What has happened to .space?

(...) Nobody "stole" the name of your spacecraft since you do not hold exclusive rights to the name "Galaxy Enforcer" It's especially silly for you to claim ownership of this name, because you admitted that it's a name for a spaceship you haven't (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  (Re: What has happened to .space?) and others

(...) I think the obsession has to do with Shiri being female. To illustrate this, I've put together an example. Below are some posts from Lugnet.technic (in which most of the posts are from males). POST 1: Beat Felber's announcement of his new (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What has happened to .space?

(...) Nope (...) You have to take the ribbing to be a part of the groups. It's fun. Accept it. Do it back. Enjoy yourself. (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: FOTM/LOTM (Loss of the Month) Some thoughts...

(...) <emphasis> (...) </emphasis> (...) You paint with too broad a brush, sir. And I resent it. I am very tired of it, in fact, in the general case. In this specific case I have repeatedly tried to move this thread to debate and others keep moving (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What has happened to .space?

(...) people have been ridiculing me for simply saying that they stole a name for a class of space craft that I have built and I am not trying to complain but these people, for the most part, have been acting as if they are the biggest LEGO gods in (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Around we go again...

(...) When one read this again it looks rather quaint: "have the right to marry and to found a family". Although I am sure/hope it is not intended today, but it implies that marriage should come before having children. Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) This is a family forum. Like I said before, it may just be that I am a prude. (...) Just what war torn coutry do you live in? (...) Not more violent, but more realistic. There is a clear distinction between the two. Movies have the stylised (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Around we go again...

(...) For the benifit of other readers: (URL) 16. (1) Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What has happened to .space?

(...) Every other person is STILL talking about Shiri? Does every person in this room have a psychotic obscession with Shiri? "Move it along, there's nothing to see here, people, let's go. police chief from South Park" Jesse Long P.S. I agree with (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Around we go again...

(...) I am, if we share an understanding of what "basic" means. Even if we do not, there is this : Universal Declaration of Human Rights - Article 16. (I expect Duane will contest both. ;/) However, the paranoid in me tells me that this is the (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) What is your basis to the claim that acts depicted in pornography are different than those done in real life behind closed doors? (...) The crow-bar incident stemmed from my attempt to help a woman in a neighboring apartment who was being (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What is spam? (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment

(...) I did not say that in this thread. I cannot remember ever saying it? (...) This is because, generally, I do not view .debate as a place where debates should start (am I the only one which thinks this?). I view it as a place where debates which (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Around we go again...

(...) 'Dissenting Judge Ann Bradley said the sentence violated the "basic human right" to have children.' Wasn't aware of such a right. Who's got her email address, maybe she could present her reasons for that viewpoint here and settle (1) a (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Thanks! Dave! Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) OK. (...) I understand there are no/little computers in schools in India - and yet every country wants Indian IT graduates. I am pretty sure that Japan has very few computers in schools also - but I may be wrong. The problems with computers in (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) Have you read my respnse to Dave on this? (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) no. Calling it amoral compares it to us does it not? (...) no. (...) If you mean murder, by anyone's moral code this is wrong. I expect even murders know it to be wrong. (...) What is your point? (...) Yes, but I do not have to stop myself - I (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) It does yes. But not as it is depicted in pornography. (...) You must be mixing with the wrong people. Violence in the movies is not the same as in real life. Perhaps the US's fascination with gun culture would be lessened if the movies (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Survey methodology relating to latest LP SPAM

(...) OK. I'm not being clear again. I meant the relevance of the arugment was moot - not its content. Scott A (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What is spam? (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment

(...) Why is it illegal? Is it because the majority find it offensive, or because of the exploitation/harm to children? Perhaps both? If no exploitation/harm to childrenwas involved in any way, should it be available in a free society? Should the (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) heh. Vasectomy and castration (chemical or otherwise) are generally quite effective, as is tubal ligation or hysterectomy. In addition, homosexual intercourse traditionally has a low occurrence of pregnancy. Dave! (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Court order? (URL) Yes contraceptives are effective, just not 100% effective. If you (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What has happened to .space?

In lugnet.space, Jude Beaudin writes: *Snip, chop, lop, crop.* (...) *Snip, chop, lop, crop.* I have generaly stopped posting on lugnet.space about my MOCs, due to the fact that nobody ever seems to respond. I do keep posting about updates on my (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My reload button

My carry gun is a Kimber Elite Carry. It is .45 ACP, based on the Colt Commander style of 1911. It carries 7 rounds in the mag and 1 in the chamber. It is 1.28 inches in width, has a 4 inch barrel, weighs 28 ounces, a total length of 7.7 inches and (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) So. You admit you were wrong to disagree with Larry about his assessment of your position as being that the Lion was amoral? (...) Do you think "judge" is incorrect? Please suggest a better word. What is it that family/friends may do with (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Guns & crowbars & mace, oh my (was: not SPAM)

(...) Heh. FUT .off-topic.fun, because it's fun, and that's not debateable. :) (...) I think you leapt to a conclusion. :) But I'll give the answers anyway:(1) My belt is a kidney belt, made of 5 inch wide 16 ounce leather, backed with plastic (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Survey methodology relating to latest LP SPAM

Would you two just take it offline and shut the hell up? How many times are people going to have to tell you that your endless sniping at each other is the most annoying thing in this group before you shut up, play nice, and ignore each other? (...) (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Guns & crowbars & mace, oh my (was: not SPAM)

(...) O.K. sooooo I know that this if off-topic even for this off-topic thread… But I really wanna know James! What is your Belt: Who’s your teacher: What’s the name of your club: Have you been to any competition: What discipline of Martial Arts do (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) Yes, you're right. My imprecision. What I meant was: "We are saying that morals do not apply to it." Mea culpa, mea culpa. James (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) Uh, no, by the definitions you gave (and my understanding also) amoral does not specifically relate to _our_ (human) morals, but _any_ morals. (...) ROSCO (Never let it be said that *I* let this thread die!) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Any film as a *true* representation of life? No. *A* representation of acts in real life interpreted by the director, producer, actors, etc.? Yes. (...) He never stated that films were an objective account of life, nor did I mean to imply that (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: FOTM/LOTM (Loss of the Month) Some thoughts...

(...) Was that a question? In other words, are you asking *us* if *you* see it that way? How should we know what you think, if you don't know yourself? But let's assume it's a statement, since it's more likely that you're just challenged about when (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The Height of Mootness

(...) Something in the water where I work makes about 9 out of 10 people refer to something that is no longer relevant as a "mute point," but I'm usually silent on such matters. Dave! (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Survey methodology relating to latest LP SPAM

(...) Why is it a moot point? (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Guns & crowbars & mace, oh my (was: not SPAM)

(...) Around here, police officers have the option of carrying mace and/or pepper spray as a weapon, but if they choose to exercise that option, they must be willing to undergo the effects - in other words, they voluntarily get maced. James (who (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) I don't want to make light of your experience (alright... I do, but it's only meant in jest), but isn't it usually the other way around? :-) (...) The macing was unfortunately an assault by a gang of kids at a pool hall one night. I should (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) I see your crow-bar and raise you a gun (no I didn't get shot, but I did have a gas station attendant pull a gun on me (see (URL) and it's followups if you want to see the details). (...) I've never been maced thankfully, but having a gun (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) I don't typically come down in complete agreement with Scott, but I must concur with him on this point. Does anyone of full mental capacity actually think that any film is a true representation of life? The entire process, from the formulation (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My reload button

(...) Does it have the capacity of a standard M1911A1? Where is it smaller -- barrel, mag, or width? Got URL? Cheers, - jsproat (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Couldn't resist

Dave Low wrote in message ... (...) of the (...) obvious (...) Indeed, and the gradient is not only mental/psychological but physical: there are an amazing number of medical conditions which fall outside traditionally physically male and (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Pornography is just a graphical depiction of sex. Sex happens in real life. Violence happens in real life to varying degrees. Get threatened with a crow-bar, or get maced sometime. I feel that both are pretty violent and they have both (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Let me back-track for a minute. I think I started down a different path than we were originally on. I think the government should reduce it's size period. It doesn't need to be as large as it is. Too much red tape already. That said, let's (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) That is *exactly* what we are doing when we say the lion is amoral. We are saying that our morals do not apply to it. That's where the breakdown in communication is happening. You appear to be operating with a different definition of "amoral" (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What is spam? (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment

(...) I think he was referring to your efforts to veer the debate in an attempt to make First Amendment = Child Pornography. Granted, there's room for a .debate there, but that's not the crux of the matter (nor, technically, is it a problem with the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Why? Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Irony (...) So the money should be spent regulating itself getting smaller? (...) We do not live there. How would you solve the problems in this world? (...) Is this the best you can do? Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Dave spotted it too: (URL) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Very interesting. I will have to read more about it and see how the story developes. I hadn't heard of the technique before, so I can't argue any points about it yet :-) -Duane (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Alarm as Bush plans health cover for unborn

(...) This, for some reason reminded me of this: (URL) para: "In a country where 40m people have no health insurance, the Bush administration is planning to offer publicly funded medical coverage to foetuses, in a move which pro-choice activists (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) Talk about up-to-the-minute. See these topics: (URL) I didn't want to weigh down this basically light-hearted discussion, but you (...) I agree (about being a drag etc). Still, I thought .debate was a good place for discussion of Adam's rib (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Then I'm assuming that you've never had sex, or been in a fist-fight. (...) -Duane (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Yes. Although not everyone has to. (...) How so? (...) By reducing itself (fat chance). (...) I said "idealistic world". (...) That's what education is for. (...) -Duane (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) One would expect not anyway: (URL) A (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What is spam? (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment

(...) I do not think I have metioned child in this thread... but you are correct, I do not understand it. Do you support child pornography? What about child prositution? (...) Is this the best you can do? (...) Ah. It is my fault. I see. I should (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  XX rated technology

(...) Not any more: (URL) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) I think we should not compare our morals with the lion’s decision making process. (...) i think "judge" is rather strong a word. (...) If they wanted you to - yes. (...) The consequence is that it annoys them. (...) Why do you neet motivation (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Survey methodology relating to latest LP SPAM

(...) Sorry, I did not see it when I read over the webpage the other day. None the less, I think that telephone surveys are not as good as the real thing. However, this is a moot point. (...) Hardly typical. Even if it was, it appears that I am not (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) "realities of life"? You think violence in movies and pornography represent the "realities of life"? It looks like my life is duller than I thought. Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Survey methodology relating to latest LP SPAM

(...) Sorry, I did not see it when I read over the webpage the other day. None the less, I think that telephone surveys are not as good as the real thing. However, this is a moot point. (...) Hardly typical. Even if it was, it appears that I am not (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) So you think there is enough charity money out there for everyone to go cap-in-hand for a hand out? (...) Controversial (...) You said this before. I asked you where the money should be spent - I think you replied saying the government should (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: a semi-serious question

(...) Snatching Duplo pieces directly from the clutches of little children is a poor idea because it gives them the idea that it is okay to grab pieces they need from the creations of others whenever they want (believe me, you'll be sorry later on (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Separation of Church and State?

(...) How about: (URL) you want your tax dollars going to a religious organization? -Duane (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Sterilization and sticking to the same gender (girls typically don't get girls pregnant, nor do boys typically get boys pregnant). (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What is spam? (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment

(...) (sic) (...) Loss of first amendment rights (while the populace cheers on the loss) in the US *is* a real issue, whether you like it or not. In fact, whether you *understand* it or not, actually, since you have demonstrated with your slurring (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What is spam? (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment

(...) Selçuk (...) (23 years ago, 9-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) There was a good program on the telly in the UK fairly recently where they had a teenager looking after a child on their own full time, with the real parents of the child supervising from hidden cameras and so on. They did this with several (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Survey methodology

(...) (URL) section) is all the info I have. Seems like your fairly standard telephone survey, and they are not claiming huge accuracy, just the fairly typical (for this sample size) 95 confidence +/- 3% (for the entire group) results. Since this is (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) I was hoping to avoid that quagmire, but you're correct. Your post crystalizes the difference between "sex" and "gender," which are distinct characteristics not to be interchanged. Gender, in the modern usage, describes the *relative* (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

I would put vasectomoy/hysterectomy within the sterility umbrella (even though sterility is often not CHOSEN, and V/H can be). There are other ways... (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Sterility and vasectomy/hysterectomy? (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Not quite true. Think about it a bit, it will come to you - there are at least 2 other ways... (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: a semi-serious question

(...) hey tanya ~ i'd say hardly. unless.... you _literally_ snatched the double-sized duplo from their tiny fingers and then ignored their pitiful wailing while you were lost in a building frenzy... well gee, that would be all kinds of wrong. but (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Conspiracy theories: little green men

(...) <snipped some stuff> (...) What was that line of Chris Farley's in "Tommy Boy": You can stick your head up a cows ass to look for a good steak or just trust the butcher... something like that. ;^) I hear ya, Kirby. Dan (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My reload button

"Sproaticus" <jsproat@io.com> wrote in message news:GG8CI6.IJr@lugnet.com... (...) little mousy (...) that's just (...) the head as (...) Kimber 1911. More kaboom, smaller package. -- Overkill is the only sure kill. SR (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Couldn't resist

(...) Not to push the point, I'd say there _is_ a gradient between "female" and "male". As always, the exceptional cases demonstrate the fluid boundaries of the majority. Take homosexuals, transexuals and hermaphrodites. Or heterosexual nancy-boys (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) I don't know of any large developed nation with a predominantly private secondary education system. I can think of one that has a predominantly private health care system though, which might be analogous as a basic and essential service (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My reload button

(...) Wellll....ok. *pat* *pat* :-, But this kinda gives me the entry I need: Beretta 92 FS or 1911A1-alike? Increased capacity or increased kaboom? Ease of cleaning or the "classic" look? Cheers, - jsproat (23 years ago, 9-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  a semi-serious question

Okay, here goes - Is it totally immoral/unethical to snatch Duplos from your own children in order to bulk up the landscapes of your castles? :) ~~Tanya (23 years ago, 9-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Conspiracy theories: men on the moon

(...) Quote from the site mentioned above: "Good ... and of course, no one claims they did. Thousands of pictures were taken on the Moon, and the ones you see will tend to be the good ones. If Buzz Aldrin accidentally cut off Neil Armstrong's head, (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Conspiracy theories: men on the moon

(...) Oops, that's my fault for watching channel 5, I should have known better, there renown for pumping out rubbish (rubbish made in America). Well, I've read the site and my faith in the Moon landing's has been restored. Steve (23 years ago, 9-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Conspiracy theories: men on the moon

(...) <snippage> (...) "Documentary" indeed. :^P ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head (23 years ago, 9-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Conspiracy theories: men on the moon

(...) You're apparently in the minority. When watching the show, I was able to (through my own knowledge) discount all the alleged "mistakes" they made except for: 1. the Van Allen radiation belts 2. the overlaid photography from different sites 3. (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Conspiracy theories: men on the moon

(...) Haven't you seen that documentary? The one that shows all the errors made when they faked the landing. It was so faked. I'm surprised I'm not more bothered. The video's show the flags flapping with the wind (there's supposadly an outdoor (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) I don't know either. I'm just going on my own knowledge, experiences and perceptions. I feel that a privatized system is better than the alternative public system that we have now. Besides, why do we have banned books? Shouldn't we read that (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)

(...) Ask for assistance from a charity. There are plenty of grants and scholarships available for primary & secondary education. Just like post-secondary. You just need to look for it. I'm all for educating children, but I don't agree with the way (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact