 Off-Topic / Debate / 11592
Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 04:23:23 GMT

So, you think that the lion's morality cannot be judged as it does not
exist within any moral framework? Or do you mean to say that we simply
don't know if that framework exists or not?
[snip]
You have asked this already. I have answered it already.

Yes, I have asked it already, and yes, you've tried to answer it-- however,
I either did not understand your response, or I find you to be in error for
ever disagreeing with Larry about the issue. So, either please clarify by
answering the above (don't just copy/paste-- I've phrased the above
differently so as to potentially understand your response better) or admit
that you were too quick to discount Larry's assessment of your own position.

I think we should not compare our morals with the lion’s decision making
process.

So. You admit you were wrong to disagree with Larry about his assessment of
your position as being that the Lion was amoral?

So the reason it's "more ok" to judge family/friends is because your moral
codes are likely to be very similar?

i think "judge" is rather strong a word.

Do you think "judge" is incorrect? Please suggest a better word. What is it
that family/friends may do with respect to us morally that strangers
"should" not?

Hence, you're agreeing with me that
*IF* you *COULD* judge someone by *THEIR* *OWN* moral code, you'd be correct
to do so?

If they wanted you to - yes.

?!

You seem to disagree with yourself. Maybe I'm wrong.

You killed someone. By your own moral judgements, your act was immoral.

1) I judge by my own moral code and find your action to be immoral. You'd
say that's potentially conceited and/or an incorrect decision, yes?

2) I judge by my own moral code and find your action to be moral. Again, I'm
either conceited and/or incorrect?

3) By some magical means, I am able to *perfectly* understand and apply your
moral code. I do so, and (obviously) find your action to be immoral. You
didn't want me to, so I'm conceited and/or incorrect to do so? Huh?

What difference does it make whether you wanted me to or not? Suppose I have
no knowledge of whether you wanted me to or not-- what then?

You failed to answer the question. The question is what is the CONSEQUENCE
of judging others based on your own morality?

The consequence is that it annoys them.

Excellent! So if I wish to avoid annoying them, I shouldn't judge others by
my own moral code. If I don't CARE about annoying them, I can go right ahead
and judge morally.

Are you morally wrong to do
so? Are you conceited? Are you incorrect? Or so you simply have the
potential to be incorrect? Or the potential to be conceited and/or wrong?
What happens if I judge you according to my own morality? For what reasons
should I not do it? What's my motivation for not doing so?

Why do you neet motivation for *not* doing somthing?

What's to stop you from taking something you like in a store? What's to stop
you from being naked in public? Why don't you kill people you don't like?
Why don't you sell drugs to kids? Why don't you adulterate? Don't you have a
motivation for NOT doing these things? Even if your motivation for not doing
it is the police coming and stopping you themselves, THAT'S a motivation--
I.E. you don't WANT them to, so you don't. If you DIDN'T have that negative
motivation, you'd go right ahead and do it, the police would stop you, and
you'd go RIGHT ahead and do it again, because you wouldn't care. The fact
that you DON'T want them to is a negative motivator. And in order to prevent
me from judging you, you have to provide me with a reason-- something I
presumably don't want to happen.

#1: What is the necessary difference between individual morality and
societal morality?

A great deal.

Really? I don't think there's any *necessary* difference whatsoever,
excepting that it's emergence is from multiple individual moral codes.

There is not necessary a difference, but I expect there will be one.

I specifically and intentionally included the word "necessary" in the
original question. I shall take the above as an admission that you were
incorrect to say "a great deal"?

I take the above to more directly mean "There is no *necessary* difference
between a social morality and a personal one, however in practice personal
moralities differ greatly (and in similar manners) to a social one, not
presupposing that there are or may be exceptions to the norm."

The
end product of a social morality (I hold) has the potential to be as correct
or flawed as an individual morality. Besides, you again didn't answer the
question. I asked "what" not "how many".

Do you want a list?

Yes. And apparently, since above you think there ARE no *necessary*
differences (other than the origin, which isn't really the subject of the
debate, and which I already mentioned), I would assume that your list would
consist of nothing?

It sounds like you are now agreeing with my criticism of Larry?

Which criticism is that? You have so many :)

Perhaps the one which started this?

Thanks for the specification. I can only assume that you mean your criticism
wherein you accused Larry of passing judgement on others, and that by doing
so he was conceited? Yes-- Kind of. He's only conceited if he believes that
he is not wrong and does not concede the possibility that his moral
judgement may be flawed.

So we *can* pass judgement on societies, but we're conceited for doing so,
just like when passing judegement on others, yes?

We may well be conceited. I am sure those who we dictate feel we are.

We *may* be conceited for doing so?

It is a term of phrase - I am agreeing with you.

I wasn't *disagreeing* with *you*, *nor* was I attacking your position.
You're reading far too much into my questions. In fact, that's the reason I
decided to persue you on this topic-- by quickly reading in Larry's position
as one that was attacking you, I believe you responded quickly without
careful consideration. When people feel they're under attack, they often
respond vehemently, and without regard. If I say:

"So you think we're all conceited?"

Don't assume that I'm putting down your viewpoint, attempting to slander it
in any way, nor trying to misshape it. I'm asking an honest question. If I
decide to attack your position, I'll actually state why and how I disagree.

I'll ask again. You say "We may well be concieted [for passing judgement on
societies]", which is different that what you originally said, which was
that it *is* conceited (which I take to mean "always" in such a theoretical
debate, when stating something so flatly) to pass such a judgement.

Hence, you're either *clarifying* your previous position(to mean exactly
what I'm saying?), OR you're saying something different. ARE we necessarily
conceited for passing judgement on society? If not, what factors contribute
to conceit? What is it that makes someone conceited for making such a
judgement, and what is it that makes someone NOT conceited for making that
same judgement?

DaveE