 Off-Topic / Debate / 11556
Re: a semi-serious question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:40:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tanya K. Burkhart writes:
Okay, here goes -

Is it totally immoral/unethical to snatch Duplos from your own children in
order to bulk up the landscapes of your castles?

Snatching Duplo pieces directly from the clutches of little children is a poor
idea because it gives them the idea that it is okay to grab pieces they need
from the creations of others whenever they want (believe me, you'll be sorry
later on if they develop this bad habit!).  The best thing to do is wait until
they are taking a nap and then get what you need.  Then place them in your
creation among your smaller LEGO bricks so they are as unobtrusive as possible.
If they notice and complain, find a large enough spud and offer it to them in
trade, convincing them the whole time of its desirability.

Note that I merely addressed what is proper rather than what is ethical.  That
is because as a mom who actually secretly swapped the Shell convenience store
promo sets my sister sent my kids for Christmas for some Countdown Corner sets
I had found on clearance, I would be a hypocrite to tell you what is ethical.
(Don't worry, my kids later got the Shell sets once I managed to get hold of a
couple for myself!)  I do, however, feel I can address the issue from the
standpoint of propriety.

Don't forget, the white shoes get put away after Labor Day!

Maggie C.