 Off-Topic / Debate / 11629
Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:30:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

Violence in the movies is not the
same as in real life.

How so? What is different?

  For one thing, after the filming of Xena's beheading, Lucy Lawless
appeared on Leno.  In real life people do not typically hit the talk show
circuit after they're decapitated (though admittedly it's sometimes hard to
tell the difference).
  As another example, how often in porn films does the hero or heroine
contract and die from AIDS?  How often does pregnancy occur in porn films?
  These may seem like nitpicky points, but they're not.  The very fact the
same actor can play two different roles is a clear indication that film is
not reality.

Perhaps the US's fascination with gun culture would be lessened if the
movies depicted the full horror of what they can do - rather than depict the
usual band-aid type wounds.

Does this mean that you feel that violence should not be censored? It seems
like you are suggesting that movie violence (gun violence in particular)
actually be made *more* graphic to communicate more effectively the damage
resulting from a gunshot wound.

  "Graphic" is a charged word without sufficiently specific meaning to be
useful in this context.  I would suggest that "realistic" be used in this
context instead, since the "realistic" results of such violence would be far
more severe than is commonly portrayed on the screen.  To that end, I would
applaud a trend toward films' depiction of the consequences of violence.
Private Ryan is a good example, as you mentioned before, of this part of the
"violence spectrum," since it engendered a very real sense of the danger and
consequence of being in the line of fire.

     Dave!

PS:  Duane, I wrote a lengthy reply to one of your other posts (in reply to
one of mine) but I haven't yet received the Authentication Email about it,
so I can't yet post it.  Stay tuned!